Welwyn Hatfield over 50s belly dancing club launched
A BELLY dancing group for over 50s is to be launched in a village later this month.
As part of a joint project organised by Herts Sports Partnership and Hertfordshire County Council entitled Active Together, the group has been organised by Sophie Constable.
The Welwyn youngster, who was born with Down’s Syndrome and diabetes, has never let her illnesses get the better of her and will now be in charge of the new group which will meet every Friday from April 16.
The 19-year-old, a keen Manchester United fan and part of the Red Devils’ official disabled supporters group, said: “I’m a bit nervous but very excited about being part of this project.
“I love belly dancing, it’s fun, it keeps you flexible and I know that we’ll all have a lot of fun as well as keeping fit!”
You may also want to watch:
The project aims to bring youngsters and adults together and to encourage over 50s to become more active and this particular class will be taught by expert Samantha Neal.
John O’Callaghan from Herts Sports Partnership said: “People tend to become much less active as they get older. But if we can encourage them to take part in regular enjoyable exercise they are much more likely to stay physically and mentally fit.”
- 1 Murder-suicide investigation in Welwyn Garden City
- 2 Grant Shapps suddenly cancels constituency event amid fuel chaos
- 3 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
- 4 Councillor disappointed as BioPark appeal confirmed
- 5 Five hospitalised after Hatfield dog attack
- 6 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 7 Bridgerton: First look at Kate Sharma in season two of Netflix drama
- 8 Enjoy Sneaky Experience's 'weird and wonderful' nights out at Hatfield House this Halloween
- 9 Welwyn Garden City gym smashes target distance in charity cycle challenge
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
He added: “We are absolutely delighted to be working with Sophie, who has an infectious enthusiasm and unbounded energy.
“She has a social diary that Victoria Beckham would be proud of and I have every confidence that with her support the forthcoming project will be a huge success.
“This is a wonderful opportunity for Sophie to become involved in such a worthwhile local project.”
The classes are to be held at White Hall Centre, in Ottway Walk, Welwyn, from 2pm to 3pm.