Welwyn Hatfield MP launches new housing scheme
A VILLAGE in Times Territory has provided the inspiration for a new national policy, proposed by the MP for Welwyn Hatfield. Yesterday (Tuesday), shadow housing minister Grant Shapps launched a new Conservative scheme that would give small villages and pa
A VILLAGE in Times Territory has provided the inspiration for a new national policy, proposed by the MP for Welwyn Hatfield.
Yesterday (Tuesday), shadow housing minister Grant Shapps launched a new Conservative scheme that would give small villages and parish communities the final say in how to develop their own area.
And the idea, he says, was inspired by a constituency visit he made last year to Essendon.
Mr Shapps was invited to the annual general meeting of the Essendon Society in June.
You may also want to watch:
"What was very interesting about the meeting was that people were saying they would like more houses.
"They have a row of boarded up, prefab bungalows, which are nothing to look at, and would like to replace them.
- 1 Stay vigilant say police after man allegedly seen trying car door handles
- 2 University of Hertfordshire hit by cyber attack
- 3 Homes damaged by people throwing bricks
- 4 Explosive new Fast & Furious 9 trailer and UK release date revealed
- 5 'Iconic' new statue of Ebenezer Howard unveiled
- 6 'It's special to see your loved ones smiling away' - woman raises money to buy companion toys for care home residents
- 7 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 10 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
"Not a massive amount, but just enough properties to keep the village going.
"As I have gone around the country, many villages, a lot like Essendon, have been saying similar things.
"I thought it was a really good idea, and now it's a Conservative party policy, a national idea that's been entirely inspired by Essendon.