Welwyn Hatfield MP drops in on business help firm
HAVING created his own printing business from scratch nearly 20 years ago, Welwyn Hatfield MP Grant Shapps knows just how difficult it is to succeed – especially in tough economic times like we are in now. Luckily, an organisation exists in his
HAVING created his own printing business from scratch nearly 20 years ago, Welwyn Hatfield MP Grant Shapps knows just how difficult it is to succeed - especially in tough economic times like we are in now.
Luckily, an organisation exists in his constituency which is helping local businesses to start-up and expand.
And Mr Shapps dropped in on Business Link, based in Comet Square, Hatfield, to find out more about the hard work it does.
He was given a guided tour by partnership director Richard Hardiman, and introduced to the staff members who are helping businessmen and women across Times Territory to make it.
Mr Hardiman said he was delighted to welcome the MP to their offices.
He said: "With Business Link having worked with over 1,500 businesses in his constituency last year I am especially pleased he recognises the value we add to those whom we have supported on his patch."
- 1 IN PICTURES: Stars come out for Simply Red concert in Hatfield Park
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 It's A Kind of Magic as Queen Symphonic's Bohemian Rhapsody rocks Hatfield Park
- 4 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 5 Updated Simply Red set times for Hatfield Park concert
- 6 Jodie Williams defies injury-blighted season to claim Commonwealth bronze
- 7 'Tesco must tackle blight of trolley-dumping in Potters Bar'
- 8 Pictures of Paloma Faith and special guest Sam Ryder at Hatfield Park concert
- 9 Sign of the times: The life of Welwyn Garden City signwriter Arthur Brown
- 10 Champions! Old Owens going up after securing title
Mr Shapps said: "In these tough economic times it's absolutely vital for small businesses to expand. Business Link tell me they have experienced a big increase in enquiries since the downturn with more people than ever considering going into business for themselves.
"I know from first hand
experience that Business Link can provide crucial expertise and
Mr Shapps founded PrintHouse Corporation in 1990, when he was 21, using the same type of loan guarantee scheme Business Link offers to its customers now.
And it was this experience that had proved invaluable to his
political career some two decades on, he said.
"Being in business taught me a great deal about how to manage people and run an organisation effectively - experience that has served me very well since I became Welwyn Hatfield MP in 2005.