Welwyn Hatfield mayor in Guinness World Record bid
WELWYN Hatfield mayor Kim Langley has made a bid for the record books – by attending as many events as possible in one day.
CUTTING ribbons, presenting awards and making speeches – it’s all in a day’s work for Welwyn Hatfield mayor Kim Langley.
And it was, quite literally, all in one marathon day for the borough’s indefatigable dignitary, as she embarked on a world record attempt to cram as many official visits into just 24 hours.
Starting at 9am, Cllr Langley kicked off her challenge by visiting John Lewis in WGC, to celebrate a member of staff’s birthday, and the serving of the store’s 5,000th English Breakfast.
She also came away with a donation for her mayoral charities, the Old Hatfield-based Willow Foundation and the Welwyn Hatfield Women’s Refuge.
You may also want to watch:
Spending at least 10 minutes at each event, the challenge took Cllr Langley on a whirlwind tour of the borough, with visits to schools, supermarkets, community groups and emergency service headquarters.
She donned biker gear to celebrate the opening of a new clothing store at Predator Motorsports in WGC, and took part in a demonstration by Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service on cutting crash victims out of cars following a traffic collision.
- 1 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Woman verbally abused and threatened at petrol station
- 5 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 6 A giant of a show is coming to Welwyn Garden City as Campus West panto returns with Jack & the Beanstalk
- 7 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 8 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 9 Everyone invited to Hatfield rail tragedy remembrance service
- 10 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
Finally, at 11.40pm, after 24 events and almost 15 hours of non-stop touring, Cllr Langley called time on her challenge with a symbolic ringing of the bell at The Airfield Table Table restaurant in Hatfield.
She is now waiting to hear from the Guinness World Records whether or not she has set a record for most mayoral events in a single day.
An exhausted Cllr Langley said: “What I wanted to achieve from my day around the borough was to raise awareness about some of the truly wonderful things that happen in Welwyn Hatfield that maybe people aren’t aware of.
“I’ve met so many groups and individuals that are doing great things in our borough throughout the year who deserve to be recognised and promoted.”