Welwyn Hatfield Green Team volunteers meet PM Gordon Brown
TWO Times Territory teenagers have been praised by the Prime Minister for joining a group which helps the unemployed prepare for work. Ben Halliday, 17, and Johnny Carter, 18, met PM Gordon Brown in Downing Street at a ceremony celebrating a Mill Green
TWO Times Territory teenagers have been praised by the Prime Minister for joining a group which helps the unemployed prepare for work.
Ben Halliday, 17, and Johnny Carter, 18, met PM Gordon Brown in Downing Street at a ceremony celebrating a Mill Green horticultural training scheme.
The twosome are both part of Groundwork Hertfordshire's Green Team - a 16-week initiative helping youngsters not in employment, education or training to develop their confidence, skills and experience in order to find work.
Recruits learn about outdoor environmental work such as landscaping, planting, tree maintenance and pond clearance, and they can gain the City & Guilds qualification in land based studies.
You may also want to watch:
Ben's mum Jolan, of Codicote Road, Welwyn, told the Welwyn & Hatfield Times: "Ben really enjoyed himself at the ceremony on July 22.
"The course [which he passed] was a great experience for him and now he is so busy working!"
- 1 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 2 Supermarket evacuated and fire services called following ‘strong smell of gas’
- 3 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 4 Chatty duo want to help build community with conversation
- 5 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 6 Drugs worth £50,000 found in van pulled over for fly-tipping
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Robot assists with cancer operations at Lister Hospital
- 9 May 17: What can open when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday?
- 10 Lessons from Auschwitz: Why we must keep talking about the Holocaust
Johnny, of Knella Road, WGC, added: "It was a good experience.
"Green Team is a very good course and I've met quite a few friends as well as gain a distinction in my City & Guilds qualification."
Steve Harvey, executive director of Green Team, which has been running since January 2008, said: "These guys work extremely hard for their community and to have their contribution recognised by the Prime Minister is a wonderful honour and something we are all extremely very proud of."
For more information on Groundwork Hertfordshire call 01707 260129 or visit www.groundwork.org.uk/hertfordshire