Welwyn Hatfield Green Team volunteers meet PM Gordon Brown
TWO Times Territory teenagers have been praised by the Prime Minister for joining a group which helps the unemployed prepare for work. Ben Halliday, 17, and Johnny Carter, 18, met PM Gordon Brown in Downing Street at a ceremony celebrating a Mill Green
TWO Times Territory teenagers have been praised by the Prime Minister for joining a group which helps the unemployed prepare for work.
Ben Halliday, 17, and Johnny Carter, 18, met PM Gordon Brown in Downing Street at a ceremony celebrating a Mill Green horticultural training scheme.
The twosome are both part of Groundwork Hertfordshire's Green Team - a 16-week initiative helping youngsters not in employment, education or training to develop their confidence, skills and experience in order to find work.
Recruits learn about outdoor environmental work such as landscaping, planting, tree maintenance and pond clearance, and they can gain the City & Guilds qualification in land based studies.
You may also want to watch:
Ben's mum Jolan, of Codicote Road, Welwyn, told the Welwyn & Hatfield Times: "Ben really enjoyed himself at the ceremony on July 22.
"The course [which he passed] was a great experience for him and now he is so busy working!"
- 1 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 2 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 5 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 6 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 7 Skills the way forward for Hertfordshire’s Covid recovery as new strategy launched
- 8 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 9 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 10 Foundation makes much-needed toy donation to Welwyn Garden City school
Johnny, of Knella Road, WGC, added: "It was a good experience.
"Green Team is a very good course and I've met quite a few friends as well as gain a distinction in my City & Guilds qualification."
Steve Harvey, executive director of Green Team, which has been running since January 2008, said: "These guys work extremely hard for their community and to have their contribution recognised by the Prime Minister is a wonderful honour and something we are all extremely very proud of."
For more information on Groundwork Hertfordshire call 01707 260129 or visit www.groundwork.org.uk/hertfordshire