Welwyn Hatfield exam results: 'A desperate attempt to divert attention'
CLAIMS that the Lib Dems were 'rubbishing the performance of our children' have been hotly refuted. The attack came during the social overview and scrutiny committee meeting. Tory Keith Pieri spoke about a clipping featuring the GCSE results from the Lib
CLAIMS that the Lib Dems were "rubbishing the performance of our children" have been hotly refuted.
The attack came during the social overview and scrutiny committee meeting.
Tory Keith Pieri spoke about a clipping featuring the GCSE results from the Lib Dem's newsletter, Welwyn Hatfield Herald.
He branded it: "Typical Lib Dem propaganda".
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Clare Berry, who gave her own children home tutoring, rather than sending them to schools in Times Territory, added: "I feel this [the issue of GCSE results] was brought here as a laissez-faire thing to begin with."
After the meeting Lib Dem leader, councillor Tony Skottowe, said the statements were "a desperate attempt to divert attention from the mess the Tory county council has made".
- 1 Driving scheme for 10 to 17 year olds launches in Hatfield
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Is Hertfordshire set to become the new British Hollywood?
- 4 Pregnant woman jailed for more than two years for killing cyclist
- 5 Enjoy the park but treat it with the respect it deserves, says manager
- 6 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 8 Fantastic florist and art gallery opens in Hatfield following lockdown easing
- 9 Local COVID-19 contact tracing service now up and running
- 10 School donates textbooks to help communities in Kenya
"I expect an apology from the Tories for these claims," he said.
"Our children and schools are doing a great job with the money doled out by Whitehall.
"Despite this the statistics make us look worse than I think is true.
"Most of this is because the county council has failed to provide the number of school places the district needs.
"Its record on education is poor and our hard-working teachers and pupils deserve better.