Welwyn Hatfield councillor dies
John Mansfield, the former deputy leader of Welwyn Hatfield Council, has died aged 80.
The Cuffley resident died in his sleep earlier today (Thursday).
He stood down from his role in the cabinet due to ill health in October last year.
He remained as ward councillor for Northaw and Cuffley; a post he had held since 1991.
Council leader John Dean described councillor Mansfield as a friend and said he would miss his sharp sense of humour.
He said: “John and I were elected as councillors at the same election in 1991.
“The council will miss his depth of knowledge in all local government matters .
- 1 Concerns raised over structural integrity of Shredded Wheat factory building
- 2 Hatfield mobile network improvements set to cause TV interference
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 5 Drug dealer jailed after £9,000 worth of crack cocaine found in bedroom
- 6 Mountain bike stolen from Welwyn Garden City shed
- 7 Man in stable condition following Hatfield stabbing
- 8 Christmas baubles adorn postbox toppers in Hertford crafters' festive yarnbombing event
- 9 Welwyn Garden City BID renewed and funding secured following ballot
- 10 Great family entertainment in Christmas production of Goodnight Mr Tom at the Barn Theatre in Welwyn Garden City
“John served as chairman and as deputy leader, he served the community with 100 per cent commitment.”