Welwyn Hatfield councillor dies
John Mansfield, the former deputy leader of Welwyn Hatfield Council, has died aged 80.
The Cuffley resident died in his sleep earlier today (Thursday).
He stood down from his role in the cabinet due to ill health in October last year.
He remained as ward councillor for Northaw and Cuffley; a post he had held since 1991.
Council leader John Dean described councillor Mansfield as a friend and said he would miss his sharp sense of humour.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “John and I were elected as councillors at the same election in 1991.
“The council will miss his depth of knowledge in all local government matters .
- 1 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 2 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 3 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 4 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 5 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 6 Fundraiser bakes 100 cookies to support NHS and carers as part of Captain Tom challenge
- 7 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 8 Who are our Welwyn Hatfield candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 9 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 10 Drug trafficker guilty of 'cruel and tragic' Cameron Hill murder
“John served as chairman and as deputy leader, he served the community with 100 per cent commitment.”