Welwyn Hatfield councillor dies
John Mansfield, the former deputy leader of Welwyn Hatfield Council, has died aged 80.
The Cuffley resident died in his sleep earlier today (Thursday).
He stood down from his role in the cabinet due to ill health in October last year.
He remained as ward councillor for Northaw and Cuffley; a post he had held since 1991.
Council leader John Dean described councillor Mansfield as a friend and said he would miss his sharp sense of humour.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “John and I were elected as councillors at the same election in 1991.
“The council will miss his depth of knowledge in all local government matters .
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 5 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 6 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 9 Youngsters playing their part as Welwyn Garden City look to continue punching above their weight
- 10 Aspirations to win the league has Ben Spaul excited to be back at Welwyn
“John served as chairman and as deputy leader, he served the community with 100 per cent commitment.”