Welwyn Hatfield council tenants could move outside borough
A HOUSING allocation scheme allowing council tenants and prospective tenants in Welwyn Hatfield to move outside of the borough is set to be approved Thursday night. Welwyn Hatfield Council has joined the Choice Based Lettings Scheme consortium
A HOUSING allocation scheme allowing council tenants and prospective tenants in Welwyn Hatfield to move outside of the borough is set to be approved Thursday night.
Welwyn Hatfield Council has joined the Choice Based Lettings Scheme consortium, with four other Hertfordshire local authorities in order to allow eligible applicants to select properties across the county.
The scheme, which includes Hertsmere, St Albans, Three Rivers, and Watford, is recommended for approval by the social overview and scrutiny committee.
It would mean appropriate candidates for a council house would be able to consider properties in all five local authority areas, rather than just the one they live in.
You may also want to watch:
However, with each of the councils having its own allocation policy, a cross partner pool has been set up to allocate a proportion of homes from any of the five councils.
To help those most in need, Welwyn Hatfield Council has designed a banding system, based on an assessment of each candidate's need.
- 1 Planning application submitted for 173-space car park and mobile café at park
- 2 People with these surnames in Herts could be sitting on unclaimed estate fortunes
- 3 Preparation works under way for Stonehills revamp
- 4 Man suffers fractured skull and bleed on the brain after pub assault
- 5 Teenager charged after 'Rambo knife' and suspected class A drugs found
- 6 Mum's proud of soldier son's guard of honour role at Prince Philip's funeral
- 7 Delight for performing arts school as song hits number one in iTunes classical charts
- 8 NHS hired conman on £320,000 five months after he was unmasked
- 9 What to do if you see these hazardous caterpillars in a park
- 10 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
As part of the scheme, properties are advertised every two weeks in a free magazine and online.
The adverts will give basic details about each property.
Applicants can then choose the property they are interested in and place a 'bid'.
The overall aim of the scheme is to create increased choice within Hertfordshire.
A budget of �45,000 has been set for each year. However, the council does not expect to use the full budget.
For more information visit www.welhat.gov.uk