Welwyn Hatfield Council receives bid for village traveller site
AN application to create a gypsy caravan site in Times Territory has been submitted to Welwyn Hatfield Council.
Officers in the council’s planning department have received an application for a site in Foxes Lane, Welham Green, requesting the land be retained for residential use by members of the travelling community.
If the application is successful, the site would see three static caravans, three touring caravans and six vehicles arrive at the site, along with the two caravans, hardstanding, gates and a brick wall already there.
The applicant, Mr A Smith, claims in his statement that the land has historically been used as a traveller site, and that the development would be “purely residential in nature, for members of the family who have owned the site (on and off) for many years.”
Previous provisions for travellers pitches, under the East of England plans, identified the need for an additional 17 sites by 2011.
You may also want to watch:
However, the coalition Government has since abolished this quota, leaving it up to the local authorities to decide what provision, if any, is needed in their boroughs.
A spokeswoman for Welwyn Hatfield Council confirmed: “The recent revocation of Regional Spatial Strategies means that local councils are now responsible for determining the right level of site provision.
- 1 Murder-suicide investigation in Welwyn Garden City
- 2 Councillor disappointed as BioPark appeal confirmed
- 3 Grant Shapps suddenly cancels constituency event amid fuel chaos
- 4 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 5 Five hospitalised after Hatfield dog attack
- 6 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
- 7 Two more acts added to Hatfield music festival's 'line-up of headliners' for 2022
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 'So much for grassroots tennis' - Price hike at Gosling Sports Park sparks ire
- 10 New Local Plan timetable aims for summer deadline
“The Government has signalled its intention to review guidance and regulations in due course and Welwyn Hatfield Council will be reviewing its position in the light of these changes.”
The planning application can be viewed on the council’s website, by clicking on the link to the right.
Residents have until August 6 to comment on the proposals, either via email email@example.com or by letter Welwyn Hatfield Council, The Campus, WGC, AL8 6AE.