Welwyn Hatfield Council receives bid for village traveller site
AN application to create a gypsy caravan site in Times Territory has been submitted to Welwyn Hatfield Council.
Officers in the council’s planning department have received an application for a site in Foxes Lane, Welham Green, requesting the land be retained for residential use by members of the travelling community.
If the application is successful, the site would see three static caravans, three touring caravans and six vehicles arrive at the site, along with the two caravans, hardstanding, gates and a brick wall already there.
The applicant, Mr A Smith, claims in his statement that the land has historically been used as a traveller site, and that the development would be “purely residential in nature, for members of the family who have owned the site (on and off) for many years.”
Previous provisions for travellers pitches, under the East of England plans, identified the need for an additional 17 sites by 2011.
You may also want to watch:
However, the coalition Government has since abolished this quota, leaving it up to the local authorities to decide what provision, if any, is needed in their boroughs.
A spokeswoman for Welwyn Hatfield Council confirmed: “The recent revocation of Regional Spatial Strategies means that local councils are now responsible for determining the right level of site provision.
- 1 'We were only open 20 days before the first lockdown' - First time restaurant owner optimistic after difficult first year
- 2 Ocado opens new development centre, creating 100 new jobs
- 3 May 17: Pub ready for reopening after £440k refurbishment
- 4 Social club 'blown away' by community support while closed for extended period
- 5 Search continues for missing Stevenage man
- 6 Top gear! Supercars drive into Knebworth for Petrolheadonism event
- 7 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 8 Weight lifted as Slimming World classes return as COVID-19 restrictions ease
- 9 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 10 Chatty duo want to help build community with conversation
“The Government has signalled its intention to review guidance and regulations in due course and Welwyn Hatfield Council will be reviewing its position in the light of these changes.”
The planning application can be viewed on the council’s website, by clicking on the link to the right.
Residents have until August 6 to comment on the proposals, either via email firstname.lastname@example.org or by letter Welwyn Hatfield Council, The Campus, WGC, AL8 6AE.