Welwyn Hatfield Council criticised over troops day fundraiser
IT has been hailed as a tremendous success, but it seems not everyone was keen on last weekend s Support Our Troops day in WGC. Despite unanimous praise for Predator Motorsports, which organised the event at The Lagoon, off the Mundells roundabout, severa
IT has been hailed as a tremendous success, but it seems not everyone was keen on last weekend's Support Our Troops day in WGC.
Despite unanimous praise for Predator Motorsports, which organised the event at The Lagoon, off the Mundells roundabout, several people have criticised Welwyn Hatfield Council for its apparent lack of support for the day.
The Welwyn & Hatfield Times has received several letters from people who attended the event complaining of the council's negative approach to the occasion.
Several people have accused environmental health officers of trying to shut down stalls under health and safety guidelines, and even boasting about being paid overtime for attending.
You may also want to watch:
Sidney Valentine, from Knella Road, WGC, said: "I feel they [the council] are trying to make this town boring and of no interest."
So far, the event has raised around �5,000 for the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association.
- 1 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 2 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 3 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 4 Coroner rules Joy Morgan death 'unlawful killing' but finds no cause at inquest
- 5 Bank becomes latest to be lost from town centre
- 6 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
- 7 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 8 Apply for planning permission or move skips and machinery, company told
- 9 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 10 Former Spitfire and Hurricane engineer celebrates 100th birthday
The council has insisted it did "everything it could" to help and was "saddened" by the accusations.
For more reaction from the Support Our Troops day, buy this week's Welwyn & Hatfield Times.