Welwyn Hatfield Council criticised over troops day fundraiser
IT has been hailed as a tremendous success, but it seems not everyone was keen on last weekend s Support Our Troops day in WGC. Despite unanimous praise for Predator Motorsports, which organised the event at The Lagoon, off the Mundells roundabout, severa
IT has been hailed as a tremendous success, but it seems not everyone was keen on last weekend's Support Our Troops day in WGC.
Despite unanimous praise for Predator Motorsports, which organised the event at The Lagoon, off the Mundells roundabout, several people have criticised Welwyn Hatfield Council for its apparent lack of support for the day.
The Welwyn & Hatfield Times has received several letters from people who attended the event complaining of the council's negative approach to the occasion.
Several people have accused environmental health officers of trying to shut down stalls under health and safety guidelines, and even boasting about being paid overtime for attending.
You may also want to watch:
Sidney Valentine, from Knella Road, WGC, said: "I feel they [the council] are trying to make this town boring and of no interest."
So far, the event has raised around �5,000 for the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association.
- 1 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 2 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 3 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 4 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Council named wrong town planner as Garden City's principle creator
- 7 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 8 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
- 9 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 10 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
The council has insisted it did "everything it could" to help and was "saddened" by the accusations.
For more reaction from the Support Our Troops day, buy this week's Welwyn & Hatfield Times.