Welwyn Hatfield Council criticised over troops day fundraiser
IT has been hailed as a tremendous success, but it seems not everyone was keen on last weekend s Support Our Troops day in WGC. Despite unanimous praise for Predator Motorsports, which organised the event at The Lagoon, off the Mundells roundabout, severa
IT has been hailed as a tremendous success, but it seems not everyone was keen on last weekend's Support Our Troops day in WGC.
Despite unanimous praise for Predator Motorsports, which organised the event at The Lagoon, off the Mundells roundabout, several people have criticised Welwyn Hatfield Council for its apparent lack of support for the day.
The Welwyn & Hatfield Times has received several letters from people who attended the event complaining of the council's negative approach to the occasion.
Several people have accused environmental health officers of trying to shut down stalls under health and safety guidelines, and even boasting about being paid overtime for attending.
You may also want to watch:
Sidney Valentine, from Knella Road, WGC, said: "I feel they [the council] are trying to make this town boring and of no interest."
So far, the event has raised around �5,000 for the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association.
- 1 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 2 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 3 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 4 What time will the election results come in?
- 5 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 6 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 7 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 8 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 9 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 10 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
The council has insisted it did "everything it could" to help and was "saddened" by the accusations.
For more reaction from the Support Our Troops day, buy this week's Welwyn & Hatfield Times.