‘Meet and Eat’ to combat loneliness in Welwyn Hatfield
- Credit: Archant
Cooking is set to be used to combat loneliness among the older generations in Welwyn Hatfield.
The borough council is getting people to cook and eat together as part of a 12-week scheme, entitled Meet and Eat.
Sessions will take place weekly and involve the same group of people getting together to plan healthy meals and make friends.
The scheme has already been successful in both east and north Herts, and it is this model which Welwyn Hatfield Council is using.
Councillor Fiona Thomson, executive member for governance and public health, said: “I’m immensely proud of the work we’re doing with our partners to improve the lives of people locally.
You may also want to watch:
“The many different projects we’ve organised or helped fund, including Health Walks, Healthfest, the Dementia Action Alliance and ‘Shape Up’, are bringing lasting benefits to our communities and we’re really excited to be introducing even more new projects for next year.
“The new initiatives continue to target specific health and wellbeing issues and engage with groups who are hard to reach or vulnerable.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 3 Documentary will delve into former palace turned home for WWII children
- 4 Significantly higher number of fines and warnings for COVID-19 rule breakers in Welwyn Hatfield than nearby areas
- 5 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 6 Principal reveals biggest challenges and successes during her time at Oaklands College
- 7 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 8 This week's pick of the movies made in Herts on TV
- 9 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 10 Will Bridgerton return to Hertfordshire for season two?
“Loneliness is one of those issues we’re looking at through a ‘Meet and Eat’ scheme, which will help people make connections and forge friendships by encouraging them to cook and eat together.
“Its brilliance is in its simplicity; dining has always been an experience that should bring communities together.
“We hope to release more details soon.”