Welwyn Hatfield burglars hassled by police
JUST 16 men are responsible for around 90 per cent of all burglaries in Welwyn Hatfield.
Between them they have been arrested 701 times and many have been inside.
That’s why officers are knocking on their front doors, turning up at their local boozer and stopping them in their cars every other day in a bid to disrupt their lives.
Every beat bobby is armed with their photos, addresses and personal details.
The unemployed 16 are currently active, committing burglaries, many in a bid to feed their drug habits.
You may also want to watch:
Welwyn Hatfield inspector Gary Taylor has said enough is enough – either stop offending or hand yourselves in.
He said: “They need to know if they continue to offend, I will continue too. I’m certainly not going away.
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 3 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 4 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 5 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 6 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 7 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 8 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure
- 9 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 10 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
“These guys are active, they are prolific priority offenders.”
Officers are targeting the men, aged 16 to 37, about three times a week, searching their cars and homes, in a bid to gain information.
Insp Taylor’s initiative is believed to be the first of its kind in the country.
He said: “If you were a victim of crime you would be expecting me to do something about this.
“My overarching aim is to make Hatfield and WGC a place where criminals don’t want to be.
“For those no longer committing crime, we hope they will let us know who is, and they won’t have to put up with officers tracing their every move.”
*Are you one of the 16 and want to have your say?
Has this made you think about giving up a life of crime?
Call us on 01707 384183 or email email@example.com