Welwyn Hatfield band join the Millionairo club
IT can be difficult to come up with a name for your band. So when drummer Steve Howard was trying to come up with a moniker for his group in July 2008, he decided to go down the Kaiser Chiefs route. Leeds favourite sons are well-known for being named aft
IT can be difficult to come up with a name for your band.
So when drummer Steve Howard was trying to come up with a moniker for his group in July 2008, he decided to go down the Kaiser Chiefs route.
Leeds' favourite sons are well-known for being named after the Kaizer Chiefs, who play in South Africa's ABSA Premiership and, not to be outdone, Steve scoured the globe for a club whose name he could adapt.
He eventually settled on Club Deportivo Los Millonarios, from Colombia, which with a little tinkering led to the band's name of Millionairo.
Based in WGC and Hatfield, James Sweet (vocals), Nick Shirfield (bass) and Nick Doren (guitarist) complete the group's line up.
They have an eclectic range of influences, which range from classic rock to hip hop and this, according to Steve, accounts for their "individual" sound.
- 1 'Best headteacher' leaves Hatfield school
- 2 From Welwyn Garden City to Colorado: The long-distance fiancées fundraising for a UK visa
- 3 Hatfield to get new pub following £9 million investment
- 4 Hatfield man faces murder charge
- 5 Christmas gifts and hampers stolen from garden centre
- 6 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 'It's incredible that this could save someone’s life'
- 9 Suspected stabbing in Welwyn Garden City
- 10 Runners get festive for Garden City race
Currently unsigned but ambitious, the four-piece hope to one day fulfil their dream of earning a record deal - and they are certainly setting about it in the right way.
A newly-designed website www.millionairo.co.uk is set to be followed by a demo record, pencilled in for release later this year.
Millionairo are next in action at the Green Room in WGC on September 4.
For more about the band, including music samples and additional pictures, log onto www.millionairo.co.uk or www.myspace.com/millionairoband