‘What a beautiful day it was’: Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar’s royal wedding celebrations
- Credit: Theresa Harwood
Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar were blessed with bright sunshine for their royal wedding celebrations on Saturday, May 19.
“What a beautiful day it was,” said Theresa Harwood, who co-organised a street party in Warren Close, Hatfield. “You couldn’t ask for better weather, it just adds to the whole spirit of things. We had such a lovely turnout.”
At Jimmy Mac’s centre in Hatfield, guests were greeted with the full red carpet treatment, with bubbly, royal masks, plus cardboard cut-outs of Meghan and Harry.
Meanwhile, the Birdcage Bridal Boutique in Welwyn Garden City reminded its customers that it’s not only Meghan and Harry who can have a fairytale wedding, offering a 20 per cent discount for any dresses sold on the day of its royal wedding event.
Friday May 18 saw several schools join in the celebrations.
You may also want to watch:
Sherrardswood School in Welwyn held a street party-style lunch.
Northaw C of E Primary School had a wedding-themed mufti day, and thanks to one boy with a toy camera, had its own ‘wedding photographer’.
- 1 Upgrades to key shopping street will leave town 'well-placed' for future
- 2 Icy weather continues to suspend bin collections
- 3 Police disperse large group near the university
- 4 Post delayed due to staff self-isolating at Royal Mail
- 5 Isabel Hospice closed to new admissions due to staff sickness
- 6 More than 15 social housing homes open at £6.7 million development
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 COVID-19: Cases fall by hundreds but still above national average
- 9 'We need to be heard and treated fairly' – dog groomers demand after not receiving COVID grant
- 10 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
Another girl brought in a tray of cakes, ensuring there was wedding cake for all.
By holding a ‘red, white and blue’ day, Ladbrooke School in Potters Bar raised £173 for Scotty’s Little Soldiers, one of the happy couple’s chosen charities.