General Election 2019: It’s your vote in Welwyn Hatfield or Hertsmere, so make it count
PUBLISHED: 06:33 12 December 2019
Today sees the country go to the polls for the most important General Election in a generation.
The Welwyn Hatfield Times urges you - our readers - to make your vote count.
Campaigning has been intense across Welwyn Hatfield and Hertsmere during the election campaign, but in the end the final decision on who will be our next MPs lies with YOU.
In 2017, there was a 70.9 per cent turnout in Welwyn Hatfield and 71 per cent in Hertsmere, which means over one in four of both electorates did not cast their vote.
Make YOUR vote count. And remember:
- Polling stations open at 7am and close at 10pm
- You can only vote at the polling station stated on the poll card sent to the address at which you are registered;
You may also want to watch:
- If you are in a queue at your polling station at 10pm, you will still be able to vote, but not if you arrive later;
- If you have not posted a postal vote before polling day, you can take it to your local polling station and hand it in;
- If you are suddenly unable to vote in person, then you may be entitled to appoint an emergency proxy. You can apply for this up until 5pm on polling day by contacting Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council's electoral services team on 01707 357300 or Hertsmere Borough Council on 020 8207 7481;
- You are advised to take your poll card with you to vote, but if you do not have it, you will still be able to vote;
- If you are disabled, you can ask the polling station staff for help to mark the ballot paper. Someone else, such as a relative or support worker, is also entitled to help;
- Anyone with a visual impairment can ask for a large print copy of the ballot paper;
- If you make a mistake on your ballot paper, you can return it to polling station staff who will issue you with a replacement provided you have not already put your original in the ballot box.
Still undecided on who to vote for? The Welwyn Hatfield Times has profiles on all the parliamentary candidates - just click on the General Election 2019 tab. We will also be running a live blog through the night, so tune in after polls close at 10pm tonight.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.