Welwyn Garden City woman reunited with lost photo
A PRECIOUS photograph found on the floor at a bus stop has been returned to its owner thanks to the WHT. Nina McLean was delighted when she saw our story last week about the picture, which had been discovered at the bus station in WGC town centre. She sai
A PRECIOUS photograph found on the floor at a bus stop has been returned to its owner thanks to the WHT.
Nina McLean was delighted when she saw our story last week about the picture, which had been discovered at the bus station in WGC town centre.
She said the treasured snap - taken in March 1951 - was of her brother, John.
It had gone missing on the same day that it was found by 13-year-old Joanna Aquilina and her mum Julie Alderson.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs McLean, of Breakmead, WGC, told the WHT she noticed she had lost the photo when she went to show it to friends.
"I was absolutely devastated. It is a photo I have treasured for years and always keep it on me.
- 1 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 2 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 3 What time will the election results come in?
- 4 Billy Joe Saunders v Saul Canelo Alvarez - as it happened
- 5 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 6 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
- 7 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 8 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 9 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 10 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
"When I saw it in the paper I thought thank God somebody handed it in, I'm extremely grateful, I don't know what I would have done without it."
The 73-year-old, originally from Edinburgh, has many fond memories of her siblings, four sisters and two brothers.
And she told of how John once saved her life.
"When I was about 19 I wasn't very well and my brother went up to check on me and rang the doctor instantly because he believed I needed immediate help," she said.
"The next morning I was taken to hospital with double pneumonia [having the disease in both lungs]. I stayed there for 10 months."
Mrs McLean, who moved to WGC in 1957, added she was still in contact with 77-year-old John, who was in his Territorial Army uniform in the picture.
"He recently had a brain tumour operation but is recovering well. I'm so glad to have the picture back and I will be looking at getting it restored now.