Welwyn Garden City thief jailed
A PROLIFIC thief, who hit a security guard over the head with a lump of wood after being caught stealing, has been jailed. Christopher Coulton, 24, was sentenced to 18 weeks in prison for theft and common assault for the attack in the Galleria, Hatfield,
A PROLIFIC thief, who hit a security guard over the head with a lump of wood after being caught stealing, has been jailed.
Christopher Coulton, 24, was sentenced to 18 weeks in prison for theft and common assault for the attack in the Galleria, Hatfield, on April 20 this year.
Having pocketed almost �50 worth of goods from the Galleria's JD Sports and French Connection stores, Coulton, attempted to flee a guard who had approached him.
Following a scuffle, he hit the guard over the head with a lump of wood he picked up off the ground.
You may also want to watch:
At St Albans Crown Court this week, judge Marie Catterson said Coulton, from Salisbury Road, WGC, had "a long and unhappy record for a variety of offences".
"A number of the offences were of low level violence and others of dishonesty," she said.
- 1 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 2 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 3 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 4 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 5 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 6 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 7 Fundraiser bakes 100 cookies to support NHS and carers as part of Captain Tom challenge
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys on BBC Two visits Hertfordshire this week
- 10 Drug trafficker guilty of 'cruel and tragic' Cameron Hill murder
"Assaulting a security guard is really quite serious and calls for a sentence of imprisonment."
For more on this story, get this week's edition of the Welwyn & Hatfield Times, out tomorrow (Wednesday).