Welwyn Garden City Tesco ‘won’t impact environment’
SUPERMARKET bosses have claimed building a 50,000 sq ft store on the Broadwater Road site in WGC will have just a MINOR impact on the environment.
Tesco was asked by Welwyn Hatfield Council’s officers to supply a more in-depth environmental impact assessment (EIA) to accompany its planning application for the former Shredded Wheat site.
And residents have 21 days, from today (Wednesday), to have their say on this new aspect of the planning process.
The EIA, commissioned by Tesco, unsurprisingly concludes: “The majority of the environmental impacts of the proposed redevelopment will be minor and, if adverse, mitigated by the design and planning of the redevelopment.
“The social and economic impacts of the redevelopment will be significant for the local area and broadly positive.
You may also want to watch:
“Some adverse effects on local office developments may be expected but should be counterbalanced by improved employment and the relocation of growing businesses.”
The EIA also stated due to an increase in traffic Broadwater Road would need to expand with two lanes in both directions, with a dedicated access road to the food store.
- 1 Keep on the grass - sign telling people to stay off land taped over
- 2 Meet the man driving a tractor 270 miles from Cornwall to Codicote
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 5 July 19: Extended restrictions will bring 'big costs' to our businesses
- 6 Would you quit drinking and smoking?
- 7 Businesses react as relaxation of Covid restrictions delayed to July 19
- 8 100 not out for centenarian Gladys
- 9 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM
- 10 Getting wild at Panshanger Park with Herts and Middlesex Wildlife Trust
? Comments on the environmental impact of the plans need to made in writing and can be emailed to email@example.com or sent to the planning department, Welwyn Hatfield Council, Campus East, WGC, Herts, AL8 6AP.
? To see the EIA non-technical summary or all the planning application documentation click the links above right.