Welwyn Garden City Tesco ‘won’t impact environment’
SUPERMARKET bosses have claimed building a 50,000 sq ft store on the Broadwater Road site in WGC will have just a MINOR impact on the environment.
Tesco was asked by Welwyn Hatfield Council’s officers to supply a more in-depth environmental impact assessment (EIA) to accompany its planning application for the former Shredded Wheat site.
And residents have 21 days, from today (Wednesday), to have their say on this new aspect of the planning process.
The EIA, commissioned by Tesco, unsurprisingly concludes: “The majority of the environmental impacts of the proposed redevelopment will be minor and, if adverse, mitigated by the design and planning of the redevelopment.
“The social and economic impacts of the redevelopment will be significant for the local area and broadly positive.
You may also want to watch:
“Some adverse effects on local office developments may be expected but should be counterbalanced by improved employment and the relocation of growing businesses.”
The EIA also stated due to an increase in traffic Broadwater Road would need to expand with two lanes in both directions, with a dedicated access road to the food store.
- 1 Murder-suicide investigation in Welwyn Garden City
- 2 Councillor disappointed as BioPark appeal confirmed
- 3 Five hospitalised after Hatfield dog attack
- 4 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 5 Grant Shapps suddenly cancels constituency event amid fuel chaos
- 6 New Local Plan timetable aims for summer deadline
- 7 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 8 Two more acts added to Hatfield music festival's 'line-up of headliners' for 2022
- 9 'So much for grassroots tennis' - Price hike at Gosling Sports Park sparks ire
- 10 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
? Comments on the environmental impact of the plans need to made in writing and can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or sent to the planning department, Welwyn Hatfield Council, Campus East, WGC, Herts, AL8 6AP.
? To see the EIA non-technical summary or all the planning application documentation click the links above right.