Welwyn Garden City swim school celebrates 15 year anniversary
A WGC swimming school is celebrating a landmark birthday this month.
For the past 15 years, Tony Woodhams’ Swim School has been teaching children aged between five and 12 not only how to swim, but how to improve technique, fitness and stamina.
It all started in 1995, when Tony Woodhams, then running a health food business, got talking to some of his customers about his love of swimming.
“I used to chat to mums about swimming and they said they could be interested in sending their kids to me to teach them,” said Tony, 47.
“I’ve always enjoyed swimming, and I’ve always liked working with children, so I felt it would be a wonderful business to be involved in and decided to qualify as an instructor.”
You may also want to watch:
Word soon spread, and Tony now holds lessons for around 400 swimmers each week at Monk’s Walk School, in Knightsfield, WGC.
Indeed, word continues to get around, meaning Tony’s never had to rely on more modern business methods that have become the norm in the past 15 years.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 5 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 8 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 9 Council named wrong town planner as Garden City's principle creator
- 10 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
“I’ve never needed a website,” Tony said. “My business continues to go from strength to strength simply through mum’s gossiping at the school gates!”
Tony Woodhams’ Swim School holds lessons every Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons after school hours, and Saturday mornings. For more information email Tony at firstname.lastname@example.org