Welwyn Garden City swim school celebrates 15 year anniversary
A WGC swimming school is celebrating a landmark birthday this month.
For the past 15 years, Tony Woodhams’ Swim School has been teaching children aged between five and 12 not only how to swim, but how to improve technique, fitness and stamina.
It all started in 1995, when Tony Woodhams, then running a health food business, got talking to some of his customers about his love of swimming.
“I used to chat to mums about swimming and they said they could be interested in sending their kids to me to teach them,” said Tony, 47.
“I’ve always enjoyed swimming, and I’ve always liked working with children, so I felt it would be a wonderful business to be involved in and decided to qualify as an instructor.”
You may also want to watch:
Word soon spread, and Tony now holds lessons for around 400 swimmers each week at Monk’s Walk School, in Knightsfield, WGC.
Indeed, word continues to get around, meaning Tony’s never had to rely on more modern business methods that have become the norm in the past 15 years.
- 1 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 4 Welwyn Garden City school raises nearly £1,000 for Isabel Hospice with annual 'Charity Day'
- 5 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 6 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 7 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
- 8 6 movies to watch on TV this week made in Herts
- 9 Graduate to create original African sci-fi series for Disney+
- 10 Scammer pretending to be a police officer stole thousands from 99-year-old man
“I’ve never needed a website,” Tony said. “My business continues to go from strength to strength simply through mum’s gossiping at the school gates!”
Tony Woodhams’ Swim School holds lessons every Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons after school hours, and Saturday mornings. For more information email Tony at firstname.lastname@example.org