Welwyn Garden City supermarket reveals its new charity of the year
- Credit: Archant
A Welwyn Garden City supermarket has revealed the new charity it will be supporting for the following year.
Sainsbury’s Local Charity of the Year scheme is back for the ninth year and the Welwyn Garden City store will be raising funds for is Space.
Space is a Hertfordshire-based charity supporting parents/carers of children and young people on the Autistic Spectrum, with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) or a related condition.
At the end of May, the store shortlisted three charities for the customers to then vote for and Space received the most votes from shoppers.
Space will now receive a year of support from the store, which includes raising funds and awareness.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman for Space said: “We are absolutely over the moon to be chosen as Welwyn Garden City Sainsbury’s Charity of the Year.
“We are very excited about our partnership with Sainsbury’s and all the amazing things we’ll be able to do together to support our local families.
- 1 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 4 Clinic launched at sports village to help 'long COVID' sufferers
- 5 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 6 Care home resident celebrates 102nd birthday
- 7 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 8 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
- 9 Shoppers encouraged to stay safe as lockdown eases
- 10 Brookmans Park pub celebrates welcoming back visitors on April 12
“Space is a charity run by a very small team of volunteers and raising much-needed funds and awareness about what we do will be a dream come true.
“The team is extremely grateful to everyone who voted for us at the store and online.”
A spokeswoman for Welwyn Garden City’s Sainsbury’s said: “We have worked with Willow for the past year and have raised over £1,800 alone in store with just our charity collection boxes.
“We will also be donating some of the money from the sales of our carrier bags which hasn’t yet been calculated, other funds were raised by donating things to the charity which included £100 worth of Easter eggs and other products for various events they held.
“We have enjoyed working with Willow, and wish them lots of luck with their fundraising in the future.
“Our new charity of the year is Space and we look forward to helping them raise well-needed funding.”