Welwyn Garden City shop evacuated after electrical fire
AN opticians in WGC town centre was evacuated this morning (Friday) after an electrical fire.
Firefighters from WGC fire station rushed to Welwyn Vision, in Howardsgate, just after 9am.
A small crowd gathered and smoke billowed out of the front door as officers entered the store.
Optical assistant Allie Saunders was one of two employees forced to leave the shop.
She told the Welwyn Hatfield Times she noticed the smoke after switching the lights on earlier this morning.
You may also want to watch:
“I thought I had sleep in my eyes!,” she said, on first noticing the fumes.
Firefighters identified that the fire had started in some wiring above an optical display case.
- 1 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 2 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 6 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 7 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 8 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 9 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
- 10 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
They then used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear any remaining smoke from the building.
The police also attended the scene.
The store has since re-opened for business.