Welwyn Garden City shop evacuated after electrical fire
AN opticians in WGC town centre was evacuated this morning (Friday) after an electrical fire.
Firefighters from WGC fire station rushed to Welwyn Vision, in Howardsgate, just after 9am.
A small crowd gathered and smoke billowed out of the front door as officers entered the store.
Optical assistant Allie Saunders was one of two employees forced to leave the shop.
She told the Welwyn Hatfield Times she noticed the smoke after switching the lights on earlier this morning.
You may also want to watch:
“I thought I had sleep in my eyes!,” she said, on first noticing the fumes.
Firefighters identified that the fire had started in some wiring above an optical display case.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 4 How Welwyn's White Hart pub improvised after £100K kitchen inferno
- 5 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
- 6 'Another Jo Cox' - Hatfield councillor predicted MP attack months before David Amess death
- 7 County success for Phil Embleton while Brookmans Park golfers enjoy annual highlight
- 8 The Proclaimers to headline Folk by the Oak in Hatfield Park
- 9 Arrests made following stop and searches – including teenager with baton
- 10 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
They then used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear any remaining smoke from the building.
The police also attended the scene.
The store has since re-opened for business.