Welwyn Garden City set to remember Tony
A SOCIAL gathering to honour the memory of a much-missed local figure is being held this weekend. Tony Rawlinson, who was the grandson of WGC founder Ebenezer Howard, died on January 23, aged 93. Mr Rawlinson was well known around town for his charity wa
A SOCIAL gathering to honour the memory of a much-missed local figure is being held this weekend.
Tony Rawlinson, who was the grandson of WGC founder Ebenezer Howard, died on January 23, aged 93.
Mr Rawlinson was well known around town for his charity walks and remarkable athleticism. He holds the world record for pole vaulting, in his eighties.
A social event in his memory has been organised for Sunday, in the Trackside bar at Gosling Sports Park, Stanborough Road, WGC.
You may also want to watch:
John Fogarty, a friend of Mr Rawlinson for more than 20 years, said: "We want to remember a man who, in his eighties, set a world-record and who carried on into his nonagenarian years doing decathlons.
"We would like to invite all those who knew Tony, and who want to spend some time chatting about him."
- 1 Homes damaged by people throwing bricks
- 2 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 3 Stay vigilant say police after man allegedly seen trying car door handles
- 4 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 'It's special to see your loved ones smiling away' - woman raises money to buy companion toys for care home residents
- 7 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 8 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 9 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
- 10 Explosive new Fast & Furious 9 trailer and UK release date revealed
The event starts at noon, and there is a cover charge of �10 for food.
Any money left over will go towards a suitable memorial, to be decided upon later in consultation with Mr Rawlinson's widow, Lillian.
If you wish to attend, call John Fogarty in advance on 01707 327771.