Welwyn Garden City set to remember Tony
A SOCIAL gathering to honour the memory of a much-missed local figure is being held this weekend. Tony Rawlinson, who was the grandson of WGC founder Ebenezer Howard, died on January 23, aged 93. Mr Rawlinson was well known around town for his charity wa
A SOCIAL gathering to honour the memory of a much-missed local figure is being held this weekend.
Tony Rawlinson, who was the grandson of WGC founder Ebenezer Howard, died on January 23, aged 93.
Mr Rawlinson was well known around town for his charity walks and remarkable athleticism. He holds the world record for pole vaulting, in his eighties.
A social event in his memory has been organised for Sunday, in the Trackside bar at Gosling Sports Park, Stanborough Road, WGC.
You may also want to watch:
John Fogarty, a friend of Mr Rawlinson for more than 20 years, said: "We want to remember a man who, in his eighties, set a world-record and who carried on into his nonagenarian years doing decathlons.
"We would like to invite all those who knew Tony, and who want to spend some time chatting about him."
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 5 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 6 Council named wrong town planner as Garden City's principle creator
- 7 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Report shows staggering increase in fly-tipping across Herts over past year
- 10 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
The event starts at noon, and there is a cover charge of �10 for food.
Any money left over will go towards a suitable memorial, to be decided upon later in consultation with Mr Rawlinson's widow, Lillian.
If you wish to attend, call John Fogarty in advance on 01707 327771.