Welwyn Garden City set to remember Tony
A SOCIAL gathering to honour the memory of a much-missed local figure is being held this weekend. Tony Rawlinson, who was the grandson of WGC founder Ebenezer Howard, died on January 23, aged 93. Mr Rawlinson was well known around town for his charity wa
A SOCIAL gathering to honour the memory of a much-missed local figure is being held this weekend.
Tony Rawlinson, who was the grandson of WGC founder Ebenezer Howard, died on January 23, aged 93.
Mr Rawlinson was well known around town for his charity walks and remarkable athleticism. He holds the world record for pole vaulting, in his eighties.
A social event in his memory has been organised for Sunday, in the Trackside bar at Gosling Sports Park, Stanborough Road, WGC.
You may also want to watch:
John Fogarty, a friend of Mr Rawlinson for more than 20 years, said: "We want to remember a man who, in his eighties, set a world-record and who carried on into his nonagenarian years doing decathlons.
"We would like to invite all those who knew Tony, and who want to spend some time chatting about him."
- 1 Woman verbally abused and threatened at petrol station
- 2 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 3 Welwyn Garden City battle adversity to win at Didcot Town
- 4 9 huge shows and music festivals to look forward to in Hertfordshire in 2022
- 5 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 6 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 7 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 10 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
The event starts at noon, and there is a cover charge of �10 for food.
Any money left over will go towards a suitable memorial, to be decided upon later in consultation with Mr Rawlinson's widow, Lillian.
If you wish to attend, call John Fogarty in advance on 01707 327771.