Welwyn Garden City set to remember Tony
A SOCIAL gathering to honour the memory of a much-missed local figure is being held this weekend. Tony Rawlinson, who was the grandson of WGC founder Ebenezer Howard, died on January 23, aged 93. Mr Rawlinson was well known around town for his charity wa
A SOCIAL gathering to honour the memory of a much-missed local figure is being held this weekend.
Tony Rawlinson, who was the grandson of WGC founder Ebenezer Howard, died on January 23, aged 93.
Mr Rawlinson was well known around town for his charity walks and remarkable athleticism. He holds the world record for pole vaulting, in his eighties.
A social event in his memory has been organised for Sunday, in the Trackside bar at Gosling Sports Park, Stanborough Road, WGC.
You may also want to watch:
John Fogarty, a friend of Mr Rawlinson for more than 20 years, said: "We want to remember a man who, in his eighties, set a world-record and who carried on into his nonagenarian years doing decathlons.
"We would like to invite all those who knew Tony, and who want to spend some time chatting about him."
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 3 Documentary will delve into former palace turned home for WWII children
- 4 Significantly higher number of fines and warnings for COVID-19 rule breakers in Welwyn Hatfield than nearby areas
- 5 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 6 Principal reveals biggest challenges and successes during her time at Oaklands College
- 7 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 8 This week's pick of the movies made in Herts on TV
- 9 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 10 Will Bridgerton return to Hertfordshire for season two?
The event starts at noon, and there is a cover charge of �10 for food.
Any money left over will go towards a suitable memorial, to be decided upon later in consultation with Mr Rawlinson's widow, Lillian.
If you wish to attend, call John Fogarty in advance on 01707 327771.