Welwyn Garden City's iconic poplars 'Are safe'
JUST one poplar in WGC town centre will have to be felled due to decay, a review has concluded. The investigation into the safety of more than 150 of the 'iconic' trees was launched after one crashed down on to a car in high winds last month. Welwyn
JUST one poplar in WGC town centre will have to be felled due to decay, a review has concluded.
The investigation into the safety of more than 150 of the "iconic" trees was launched after one crashed down on to a car in high winds last month.
Welwyn Hatfield Council tree officers inspected the Lombardy poplars in Howardsgate, Parkway and Parkway Close.
Just one of 152 showed "significant" signs of decay, and will be axed.
You may also want to watch:
For more on this story, see tomorrow's (Wednesday) Welwyn & Hatfield Times.
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 5 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 6 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 9 Youngsters playing their part as Welwyn Garden City look to continue punching above their weight
- 10 Aspirations to win the league has Ben Spaul excited to be back at Welwyn