Welwyn Garden City Royal Mail sorting office saved
WGC’s sorting office will NOT be closing, it has been confirmed.
Workers at the office in Bessemer Road received confirmation from Royal Mail this morning (Friday).
The sorting office had been threatened with closure amid plans by Royal Mail to relocate operations to Stevenage.
But after a mass public outcry which saw around 7,000 WGC residents sign a petition that was ultimately delivered to Westminister, staff have learned that the unit has been saved.
Lee Barnes, the Communication Workers’ Union rep for the WGC office, thanked the public for all their efforts in keeping the facility open.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re absolutely delighted,” he said. “It’s a great achievement for an office of our size. 7,000 signatures is a huge proportion of WGC, it just shows what can be achieved when you work together.”
- 1 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 'This doesn’t make much sense' - MPs react to proposed boundary changes
- 4 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 5 Investigation to take place into contact social services had with Christie Frewin before her murder
- 6 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 7 CCTV released after thousands of pounds of vitamins and supplements stolen
- 8 New Fast & Furious 9 UK release date announced
- 9 Reis Suart becomes first county champion from Welwyn Garden City in over three decades
- 10 Puddingstone Distillery launches new Ultrasonic gin to help Herts charity protect bats