Welwyn Garden City rail footbridge to remain open
A RAILWAY bridge is set to be revamped and kept open, thanks to an agreement between Network Rail and Tesco. The rail operator was concerned the footbridge from WGC town centre to Hyde Way would have to close if it was not strengthened. However, it need
A RAILWAY bridge is set to be revamped and kept open, thanks to an agreement between Network Rail and Tesco.
The rail operator was concerned the footbridge from WGC town centre to Hyde Way would have to close if it was not strengthened.
However, it needed permission to use the supermarket's land to access the bridge and carry out repairs.
Lib Dem borough and county councillor Malcolm Cowan put pressure on both parties to find a solution.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Cowan said: "This is great news. The bridge has become a sorry sight.
"The condition of the bridge meant that the width reductions were put in place.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 3 Documentary will delve into former palace turned home for WWII children
- 5 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 6 Principal reveals biggest challenges and successes during her time at Oaklands College
- 7 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 8 This week's pick of the movies made in Herts on TV
- 9 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 10 Will Bridgerton return to Hertfordshire for season two?
"Now we have agreement, so the barriers can go."
Russell Spink, for Network Rail, said: "We've come to an agreement to make sure the bridge is worked on, if we didn't do that the bridge would have to close."
Alex Trenchard from Tesco added: "This is a short-term solution.
"In the long run we want the bridge to be suitable for wheelchairs and pushchairs to connect both sides of the town.
"We need a bridge that is fit for the people of WGC."
A redeveloped bridge is part of Tesco's planned �300m development of the Broadwater Road West site.