Welwyn Garden City pub blaze: one year on
A YEAR ago this week, a boarded-up pub in WGC was destroyed by a raging inferno. The Chieftain was left a gutted shell after the 17-hour blaze, which broke out at 5pm on Friday, February 29 last year. One year on the pub in Cole Green Lane remains derelic
A YEAR ago this week, a boarded-up pub in WGC was destroyed by a raging inferno.
The Chieftain was left a gutted shell after the 17-hour blaze, which broke out at 5pm on Friday, February 29 last year.
One year on the pub in Cole Green Lane remains derelict.
But brewery McMullen has renewed its vow to build a new pub on the site.
You may also want to watch:
Steven Gill, commercial director at the Hertford-based independent brewery, told the WHT it was a matter of "getting the dots joined up".
He said: "It is still up in the air at the moment. But it remains our intention to build a pub on the site at some point."
- 1 How Welwyn's White Hart pub improvised after £100K kitchen inferno
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
- 4 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 5 Conservatives hit back at Lib Dems over Local Plan collapse claims
- 6 Arrests made following stop and searches – including teenager with baton
- 7 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 8 'Another Jo Cox' - Hatfield councillor predicted MP attack months before David Amess death
- 9 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 10 Isabel Hospice Lights of Love ceremonies return to celebrate the lives of loved ones lost
Before the blaze, The Chieftain was closed down by the brewery as it was not financially viable. It planned to build a smaller pub and flats on the site.
Fire officers originally concluded the cause of the fire was deliberate. It has now been set as of doubtful origin.