Welwyn Garden City pub blaze: one year on
A YEAR ago this week, a boarded-up pub in WGC was destroyed by a raging inferno. The Chieftain was left a gutted shell after the 17-hour blaze, which broke out at 5pm on Friday, February 29 last year. One year on the pub in Cole Green Lane remains derelic
A YEAR ago this week, a boarded-up pub in WGC was destroyed by a raging inferno.
The Chieftain was left a gutted shell after the 17-hour blaze, which broke out at 5pm on Friday, February 29 last year.
One year on the pub in Cole Green Lane remains derelict.
But brewery McMullen has renewed its vow to build a new pub on the site.
Steven Gill, commercial director at the Hertford-based independent brewery, told the WHT it was a matter of "getting the dots joined up".
He said: "It is still up in the air at the moment. But it remains our intention to build a pub on the site at some point."
- 1 'Garden thieves' caught on camera in Welwyn
- 2 Welwyn Garden City school earns prestigious development award
- 3 TfL removes over 100 London buses after EV blaze in Potters Bar
- 4 Spectacular Grade II listed home near Hatfield on the market for £3m
- 5 Mother and daughter from WGC team up to offer food packages to struggling locals
- 6 Tournament's return brings huge joy to Welwyn Garden City Youth Football Club
- 7 Toyota drove ‘erratically’ during suspected drug-fuelled trip in Hatfield
- 8 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 9 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 10 Herts man charged with alleged attempted robbery at village Co-op
Before the blaze, The Chieftain was closed down by the brewery as it was not financially viable. It planned to build a smaller pub and flats on the site.
Fire officers originally concluded the cause of the fire was deliberate. It has now been set as of doubtful origin.