Welwyn Garden City pub blaze: one year on
A YEAR ago this week, a boarded-up pub in WGC was destroyed by a raging inferno. The Chieftain was left a gutted shell after the 17-hour blaze, which broke out at 5pm on Friday, February 29 last year. One year on the pub in Cole Green Lane remains derelic
A YEAR ago this week, a boarded-up pub in WGC was destroyed by a raging inferno.
The Chieftain was left a gutted shell after the 17-hour blaze, which broke out at 5pm on Friday, February 29 last year.
One year on the pub in Cole Green Lane remains derelict.
But brewery McMullen has renewed its vow to build a new pub on the site.
You may also want to watch:
Steven Gill, commercial director at the Hertford-based independent brewery, told the WHT it was a matter of "getting the dots joined up".
He said: "It is still up in the air at the moment. But it remains our intention to build a pub on the site at some point."
- 1 Stay vigilant say police after man allegedly seen trying car door handles
- 2 University of Hertfordshire hit by cyber attack
- 3 'Iconic' new statue of Ebenezer Howard unveiled
- 4 Explosive new Fast & Furious 9 trailer and UK release date revealed
- 5 Homes damaged by people throwing bricks
- 6 'It's special to see your loved ones smiling away' - woman raises money to buy companion toys for care home residents
- 7 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Former healthcare worker nominated for role model award due to rare illness awareness campaign
- 10 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
Before the blaze, The Chieftain was closed down by the brewery as it was not financially viable. It planned to build a smaller pub and flats on the site.
Fire officers originally concluded the cause of the fire was deliberate. It has now been set as of doubtful origin.