Welwyn Garden City priest dies
A PARISH priest, who died of cancer aged 70, is to be remembered at a funeral mass on Thursday. Father Bill McConalogue was born in WGC and his mother still lives in the town. He was baptised, received his first
A PARISH priest, who died of cancer aged 70, is to be remembered at a funeral mass on Thursday.
Father Bill McConalogue was born in WGC and his mother still lives in the town.
He was baptised, received his first communion and confirmation at St Bonaventure's in Parkway.
He was ordained at Our Lady Queen of Apostles in Woodhall Lane in 1970.
You may also want to watch:
He returned as parish priest at Holy Family Church in Knightsfield in 2003 and remained in post until his death on Thursday.
Father Norbert Fernandes, parish priest at Our Lady, said: "He had been ill for quite some time.
- 1 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 2 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 3 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 4 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 5 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 6 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 7 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 8 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 9 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 10 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
"So many people have spoken about his kindness and being there for them."
Fr McConalogue will be received into Holy Family at 7pm on Wednesday, before the funeral mass at 11am on Thursday.
The mass will be conducted by the Most Reverend Vincent Nichols, Archbishop of Westminster.
Around 50 fellow priests are expected to attend.