Welwyn Garden City gets its own outdoor seating for the summer
- Credit: WGC BID
An area in Welwyn Garden City has turned into an Italian piazza just in time for summer.
In Wigmores South, just outside of Sainsbury’s, 14 picnic benches and umbrellas have been placed courtesy of the Welwyn Garden City BID.
The initiative, which has been funded by businesses in the town centre, has been very well received by visitors who have benefitted from having extra seating to enjoy their takeaways.
The outdoor seating area, which is monitored 24/7 by CCTV, is looked after by the BID team, whose friendly ambassadors are on hand every day to ensure sanitisation and all COVID-safety rules are adhered to.
Susan Banks, a resident of WGC commented on Wonderful Welwyn Garden City’s Facebook page: “Enjoying the wonderful space and sunshine for a mid-morning snack!! Thank you for organizing this - could almost be on holiday!!”
Mike Paraliki, owner of Ashley Charles Hairdressing and member of the BID Board, said: "Having the al fresco dining area has really improved this area. We were intending to spread the seating areas around the town and on the green areas on Howardsgate but unfortunately we couldn’t get permission to use the land.
"However, it has been a blessing in disguise as the area works so well where it is. We have had wonderful feedback from shoppers and footfall has definitely increased in the area."
- 1 Overgrown country lane 'is danger' to users, says mother
- 2 LIVE: Welwyn Garden City and Hatfield A-level results 2022
- 3 Hunt for stolen labrador puppy from Welwyn Garden City
- 4 Crane hire company with Welwyn Garden City depot goes into administration
- 5 Police 'concerned for welfare' of missing Hertfordshire teenager
- 6 Campaigners hit out at Spectator’s ‘the folly of garden cities’ piece
- 7 Kaiser Chiefs to perform extra show at Pub in the Park 2022 in St Albans
- 8 Disney's Encanto, The Greatest Showman and Spider-Man movie set for free outdoor cinema in Welwyn Garden City town centre
- 9 Recap: Thameslink passengers urged to delay travel due to 'incidents'
- 10 Red panda Tilly gives birth to ‘miracle’ cub at Paradise Wildlife Park one month after passing of partner Nam Pang
Nicky Wolff, WGC BID manager, said: "The picnic benches and umbrellas will be staying until the end of summer, as long as they are respected and looked after by everyone who uses them."