Welwyn Garden City gets its own outdoor seating for the summer
- Credit: WGC BID
An area in Welwyn Garden City has turned into an Italian piazza just in time for summer.
In Wigmores South, just outside of Sainsbury’s, 14 picnic benches and umbrellas have been placed courtesy of the Welwyn Garden City BID.
The initiative, which has been funded by businesses in the town centre, has been very well received by visitors who have benefitted from having extra seating to enjoy their takeaways.
The outdoor seating area, which is monitored 24/7 by CCTV, is looked after by the BID team, whose friendly ambassadors are on hand every day to ensure sanitisation and all COVID-safety rules are adhered to.
Susan Banks, a resident of WGC commented on Wonderful Welwyn Garden City’s Facebook page: “Enjoying the wonderful space and sunshine for a mid-morning snack!! Thank you for organizing this - could almost be on holiday!!”
You may also want to watch:
Mike Paraliki, owner of Ashley Charles Hairdressing and member of the BID Board, said: "Having the al fresco dining area has really improved this area. We were intending to spread the seating areas around the town and on the green areas on Howardsgate but unfortunately we couldn’t get permission to use the land.
"However, it has been a blessing in disguise as the area works so well where it is. We have had wonderful feedback from shoppers and footfall has definitely increased in the area."
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 'Almost double the population' - Plans unveiled for two adjacent festivals at the same time
- 3 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 4 F9: Filming locations of Vin Diesel's new Fast & Furious 9 movie
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 8 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 9 Girls of Potters Bar Crusaders happy with draw at hot Harpenden
- 10 Frank Turner added to revised Slam Dunk Festival 2021 line-up set for Hatfield
Nicky Wolff, WGC BID manager, said: "The picnic benches and umbrellas will be staying until the end of summer, as long as they are respected and looked after by everyone who uses them."