Welwyn Garden City man, 85, ‘left for dead’ after brutal attack
TEENAGE yobs attacked an 85-year-old man, leaving him unconscious with head injuries.
The pensioner was returning from a funeral in WGC with his wife, when two cyclists, aged about 14, knocked into them, by the corner connecting Parkway and Church Road on December 11, at 7pm.
After a confrontation one of the teens pushed the elderly man to the ground.
The duo then sped off towards Space youth centre.
A family friend told the Welwyn Hatfield Times: “I think it’s an absolutely disgusting attack – they left him unconscious and his head was split open.
You may also want to watch:
“His wife thought he was dead.”
A police spokeswoman described one of the yobs as white, and about 5ft 4in.
- 1 Delight for Garden City Runners as they enjoy two of their favourite events
- 2 Potters Bar Town throw their hat in the ring for fightback of the year after incredible game at Folkestone
- 3 Happy Jack at the Barn shows 'the power of theatre to both move and amuse'
- 4 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 5 Sherrardswood School hosts family day event
- 6 Smart new kits for Welwyn's men who maintain unbeaten start to new hockey season
- 7 You Me At Six to play headline show at Hatfield's Slam Dunk Festival site
- 8 Northaw festivals bid rejected after summer of chaos
- 9 Campaigners call on BioPark developers to collaborate
- 10 Curiosity and the 'Great Take Away' at sculptor's new Stevenage Museum exhibition
He was wearing a black bomber jacket, dark jeans and dark footwear.
There was no description for the other teen.
Gary Sanderson, ambulance spokesman, said the man was taken to the QE2 Hospital.
He was released after treatment and is recovering at home.
If you saw the incident call Pc Gerard Sandford, who is investigating, on 0845 33 00 222.