Welwyn Garden City man, 85, ‘left for dead’ after brutal attack
TEENAGE yobs attacked an 85-year-old man, leaving him unconscious with head injuries.
The pensioner was returning from a funeral in WGC with his wife, when two cyclists, aged about 14, knocked into them, by the corner connecting Parkway and Church Road on December 11, at 7pm.
After a confrontation one of the teens pushed the elderly man to the ground.
The duo then sped off towards Space youth centre.
A family friend told the Welwyn Hatfield Times: “I think it’s an absolutely disgusting attack – they left him unconscious and his head was split open.
You may also want to watch:
“His wife thought he was dead.”
A police spokeswoman described one of the yobs as white, and about 5ft 4in.
- 1 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 2 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 3 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 4 What time will the election results come in?
- 5 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 6 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 7 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 8 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 9 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 10 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
He was wearing a black bomber jacket, dark jeans and dark footwear.
There was no description for the other teen.
Gary Sanderson, ambulance spokesman, said the man was taken to the QE2 Hospital.
He was released after treatment and is recovering at home.
If you saw the incident call Pc Gerard Sandford, who is investigating, on 0845 33 00 222.