Welwyn Garden City jazz club carrying on in Brian's memory
A JAZZ club which celebrates its 40th anniversary this year has vowed to carry on in the memory of its founder, who died in December. Herts Jazz, which puts on sessions at the Fairway Suite, Panshanger Golf Complex, WGC, was founded in 1969 by the late Br
A JAZZ club which celebrates its 40th anniversary this year has vowed to carry on in the memory of its founder, who died in December.
Herts Jazz, which puts on sessions at the Fairway Suite, Panshanger Golf Complex, WGC, was founded in 1969 by the late Brian Benton.
After Mr Benton's death, doubts surfaced about the future of the club.
But committee member John Williams told the WHT: "We are going to keep it going once a month and we are going to book the same sort of standard.
You may also want to watch:
"Brian would have wanted us to carry it on."
Mr Williams admitted that taking over the running of the club was a steep learning curve, but said: "We are soldiering on."
- 1 Stay vigilant say police after man allegedly seen trying car door handles
- 2 University of Hertfordshire hit by cyber attack
- 3 'Iconic' new statue of Ebenezer Howard unveiled
- 4 Explosive new Fast & Furious 9 trailer and UK release date revealed
- 5 Homes damaged by people throwing bricks
- 6 'It's special to see your loved ones smiling away' - woman raises money to buy companion toys for care home residents
- 7 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 10 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
He added: "Brian's tremendous input is being missed - we can't replace him that is for certain."
Russell Williams, who also sits on the club's committee, agreed.
He said: "His presence is being definitely missed - he has left a gaping hole.
"We are now feeling exactly what Brian's input was.
"There are some tasks that we are discovering for the first time.
"I have had to redesign the website for example."
He added: "We want to continue the club because we all love jazz and also to continue the legacy that Brian has left."
For more information about the club, including scheduled performances, go to www.hertsjazz.co.uk