Welwyn Garden City hero given Jill Dando award
A FATHER who risked his life to save two police officers has been honoured with the Jill Dando Award. John Farley was presented with the prestigious honour, given to the most courageous civilian, after meeting Prime Minister Gordon Brown. The 52-year-old
A FATHER who risked his life to save two police officers has been honoured with the Jill Dando Award.
John Farley was presented with the prestigious honour, given to the most courageous civilian, after meeting Prime Minister Gordon Brown.
The 52-year-old, who works as a HGV driver for Argos in WGC, rescued two Pcs from their burning patrol car.
Their vehicle was ablaze after a head-on crash with a drunk-driver, 19-year-old Charlotte Edwards, who died at the scene in Stanborough Road, in WGC, in June 2007.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Farley was honoured alongside Britain's bravest bobbies at a special ceremony in London.
He met the PM at Downing Street on Thursday before being presented with the award by Jill Dando's co-presenter on Crimewatch, Nick Ross.
- 1 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 2 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 3 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 4 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Council named wrong town planner as Garden City's principle creator
- 7 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 8 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
- 9 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 10 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
Proud wife Celia told the WHT: "It was a wonderful day, a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
"John doesn't think he did anything out of the ordinary."
Mr Farley, who drives past the crash site twice-a-day, said the award was a big surprise.