Welwyn Garden City greenkeeper in charity bike ride
A GREENKEEPER took a break from his day job to go on a Sunday bike ride, although there was certainly nothing leisurely about it.
WGC Golf Club course manager Brett Cox, pictured, cycled 54 miles from London to Brighton to raise money for the British Heart Foundation.
The 35-year-old, who has worked at the Mannicotts club for 19 years, didn’t even have a bike when he signed up, but completed the challenge in a respectable four hours, 44 minutes, raising �500.
He was joined in the challenge by six of his family and friends – as well as 27,000 others.
Brett said: “With two miles to go it was all uphill and most riders walked up, but I managed to stay on my bike all the way up.
“It was great fun and I’d do it again.
“I’d like to thank everybody that sponsored me, a lot of golf club members donated money to me for doing it.”
- 1 Concerns raised over structural integrity of Shredded Wheat factory building
- 2 Hatfield mobile network improvements set to cause TV interference
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 5 Drug dealer jailed after £9,000 worth of crack cocaine found in bedroom
- 6 Man in stable condition following Hatfield stabbing
- 7 Mountain bike stolen from Welwyn Garden City shed
- 8 Christmas baubles adorn postbox toppers in Hertford crafters' festive yarnbombing event
- 9 Great family entertainment in Christmas production of Goodnight Mr Tom at the Barn Theatre in Welwyn Garden City
- 10 Welwyn Garden City BID renewed and funding secured following ballot