Welwyn Garden City greenkeeper in charity bike ride
A GREENKEEPER took a break from his day job to go on a Sunday bike ride, although there was certainly nothing leisurely about it.
WGC Golf Club course manager Brett Cox, pictured, cycled 54 miles from London to Brighton to raise money for the British Heart Foundation.
The 35-year-old, who has worked at the Mannicotts club for 19 years, didn’t even have a bike when he signed up, but completed the challenge in a respectable four hours, 44 minutes, raising �500.
He was joined in the challenge by six of his family and friends – as well as 27,000 others.
Brett said: “With two miles to go it was all uphill and most riders walked up, but I managed to stay on my bike all the way up.
You may also want to watch:
“It was great fun and I’d do it again.
“I’d like to thank everybody that sponsored me, a lot of golf club members donated money to me for doing it.”
- 1 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 2 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 3 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 4 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 5 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 6 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 7 Fundraiser bakes 100 cookies to support NHS and carers as part of Captain Tom challenge
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys on BBC Two visits Hertfordshire this week
- 10 Drug trafficker guilty of 'cruel and tragic' Cameron Hill murder