Welwyn Garden City golfers chip in to mark silver jubilee
SANDY Lyle triumphed in the British Open, Boris Becker became the youngest ever winner of Wimbledon, aged 17, Dennis Taylor beat Steve Davis in arguably the greatest ever snooker match and Kevin Moran was the first player to be sent off in an FA Cup final as his Manchester United team defeated Everton 1-0.
It was an influential year of sport, but when was it?
Well those of you older than 30, and the eggheads out there, might just know the answer – it was 1985.
On a more local level, that was also the year that saw the development of Panshanger Ladies section at Panshanger Golf Club.
And the Old Herns Lane-based society celebrated its silver jubilee with an extra special golf day, which helped raise about �1,000 for the Alzheimer’s Society.
You may also want to watch:
Torrential downpours throughout the day failed to put off the 125 participants, which included 13 founder members and 18 past captains.
Debbie Osman, current ladies captain, said: “Linda Daker, the first captain, toasted Panshanger Ladies and the future of the club, commenting on how the spirit of fun and friendliness was still there in abundance and how lovely it was to see so many faces from the past.
- 1 'Almost double the population' - Plans unveiled for two adjacent festivals at the same time
- 2 F9: Filming locations of Vin Diesel's new Fast & Furious 9 movie
- 3 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 4 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 7 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 8 Frank Turner added to revised Slam Dunk Festival 2021 line-up set for Hatfield
- 9 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 10 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM
“There were numerous prizes all sponsored and every bit of profit went to the charity.
“Waitrose gave a bottle of water to every lady on the course, Morrisons donated a huge hamper and bottle of cognac, there was also a prize draw from Specialist Cars for a BMW for the weekend and a BMW golf bag.”
She added: “I would like to thank everyone who helped make it such an amazingly special day.”