Welwyn Garden City golfers chip in to mark silver jubilee
SANDY Lyle triumphed in the British Open, Boris Becker became the youngest ever winner of Wimbledon, aged 17, Dennis Taylor beat Steve Davis in arguably the greatest ever snooker match and Kevin Moran was the first player to be sent off in an FA Cup final as his Manchester United team defeated Everton 1-0.
It was an influential year of sport, but when was it?
Well those of you older than 30, and the eggheads out there, might just know the answer – it was 1985.
On a more local level, that was also the year that saw the development of Panshanger Ladies section at Panshanger Golf Club.
And the Old Herns Lane-based society celebrated its silver jubilee with an extra special golf day, which helped raise about �1,000 for the Alzheimer’s Society.
You may also want to watch:
Torrential downpours throughout the day failed to put off the 125 participants, which included 13 founder members and 18 past captains.
Debbie Osman, current ladies captain, said: “Linda Daker, the first captain, toasted Panshanger Ladies and the future of the club, commenting on how the spirit of fun and friendliness was still there in abundance and how lovely it was to see so many faces from the past.
- 1 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
- 2 Welwyn Garden City man shares 9.5 stone weight loss journey
- 3 12 year old girl hospitalised after being hit by car
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Stonehills road section to reopen soon - but delays to other work
- 6 Council leader survives no confidence vote
- 7 Headteacher calls out 'dangerous' and 'inconsiderate' parking from parents outside school
- 8 Application could see two festival sites next to each other
- 9 DIY SOS star Billy Byrne set to open returning Codicote Village Day this weekend
- 10 70-year-old dies following single-vehicle collision in Welwyn
“There were numerous prizes all sponsored and every bit of profit went to the charity.
“Waitrose gave a bottle of water to every lady on the course, Morrisons donated a huge hamper and bottle of cognac, there was also a prize draw from Specialist Cars for a BMW for the weekend and a BMW golf bag.”
She added: “I would like to thank everyone who helped make it such an amazingly special day.”