Welwyn Garden City golfer Tom Lewis adds British Boys' title to his English crown
WELWYN Garden City golfer Tom Lewis claimed his second national title of the year yesterday (Saturday). The teenager made it a double triumph when he added the British Boys Championship to his English title by beating international team-mate Eddie Pepper
WELWYN Garden City golfer Tom Lewis claimed his second national title of the year yesterday (Saturday).
The teenager made it a double triumph when he added the British Boys' Championship to his English title by beating international team-mate Eddie Pepperell 5&4 in the 36-hole final at Royal St George's in Kent.
The English Boys' Stroke Play title holder now adds his name to an illustrious list of champions which includes Sir Michael Bonallack, two-time Masters winner Jose Maria Olazabal, Ryder Cup star Sergio Garcia and David Howell; a fact that the 18-year-old England international struggled to take in.
"It hasn't sunk in yet. It's hard to explain," said the young man from Welwyn Garden City Golf Club, the same club where Nick Faldo started his career.
You may also want to watch:
"You don't expect to be in the same boat as those players.
"To continue being alongside those names is a tough goal, but if I keep doing what I'm doing, which seems to be working, then hopefully I can continue being up there with them."
- 1 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 2 Supermarket evacuated and fire services called following ‘strong smell of gas’
- 3 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 4 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 5 Drugs worth £50,000 found in van pulled over for fly-tipping
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Do you have the unclaimed £1 million winning lottery ticket bought in Welwyn Hatfield?
- 8 Student wins prestigious cyber security award and trip to NASA
- 9 Chatty duo want to help build community with conversation
- 10 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
Lewis, one of the area's talented sports stars backed by the Elite Athlete Support Programme at the University of Hertfordshire in Hatfield, will soon head to Ganton for the Jacques Leglise Trophy match where he will compete for Great Britain and Ireland against the Continent of Europe.
* See Wednesday's Welwyn & Hatfield Times for report on how Tom Lewis won the title at Royal St George's.