Welwyn Garden City garage celebrates 50 year anniversary
EVERY car owner knows how important it is to have a good mechanic to call upon when needed. You need someone who's been in the business a long time, and seen every car problem there is to see
EVERY car owner knows how important it is to have a good mechanic to call upon when needed.
You need someone who's been in the business a long time, and seen every car problem there is to see.
Well, half a century in the trade should be enough.
JN Tyres Autocare in WGC is marking its 50th year in business this month, making it the oldest garage service in the town.
You may also want to watch:
And to celebrate, the company is offering a very special prize to one lucky customer.
From now until October 16, anyone who makes a purchase at the garage is automatically entered into a draw to win a new Daewoo Chevrolet.
- 1 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 2 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 6 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 7 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 8 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 9 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
- 10 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
Alistair Turner, owner of the Swallow End business, said he hoped the competition would attract new customers, who might not be aware of the extensive services JN Tyres Autocare now offers.
"We've changed beyond all recognition," Alistair said. "Customers who come here are surprised with how different it is."
Originally opened in School Lane, Welwyn, by John Nicholls (hence JN) in 1959, the company began life exclusively as a car tyre dealership.
It moved to its current location in WGC 20 years ago, and Alistair took over in 2006.
Under Alistair's leadership, the company evolved, changing its name to JN Tyres Autocare and expanding its services into brakes, exhausts, servicing and recovery.
Work on a new MOT centre is also about to start. "The first shovel should be in the ground within a couple of weeks," Alistair said.
By his own admission, the garage industry is not always viewed in a positive light, which is why he goes to great lengths to ensure his customers get the best service possible.
"I'm very proud of the work we achieve here," he said. "My staff are not paid by commission, and so are under no pressure to sell anything.
"We're not hunting for faults, but if we do see something, we'll advise."
He added: "We might be in a back street location, but we are definitely not a back street garage."
For more information on JN Tyres, and the competition, call 01707 329181 or visit www.jntyres.co.uk