Welwyn Garden City dieters donate treats to charity
- Credit: Emma Reeves
A group of Welwyn Garden City slimmers donated their tempting festive treats to people in need of emergency food parcels.
Members of the Slimming World group, who meet at Oaklands College, handed over tins of biscuits, chocolates, sweets, cakes, crisps and nuts for the food bank.
All the donations will go to people locally in need of some festive cheer.
Members of the group normally bring along a piece of fruit or a vegetable for the Slimmer of the Week basket - to award the person who has lost the most amount of weight that week - but brought along their left over treats instead.
The group’s consultant Emma Reeves, who organised the event, said: “We contacted the food bank and whilst they don’t normally appeal for luxury items they thought it would be nice to treat their customers a little bit.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m really proud of everyone for getting involved.
“It will make such a difference to the lives of people who have had a really tough Christmas.”
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Man in hospital after being trapped in car following A1(M) crash
- 3 Gallery: Snow gives Welwyn Hatfield residents much-needed fun in lockdown
- 4 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 5 Documentary will delve into former palace turned home for WWII children
- 6 Significantly higher number of fines and warnings for COVID-19 rule breakers in Welwyn Hatfield than nearby areas
- 7 Police warn FIFA Tournament 'not a reason to break the current COVID rules' and issue fines
- 8 County council offices could be sold off or leased in part
- 9 Welwyn Garden City's Sam Caiger returns for West Ham ready to put injury woes behind him
- 10 NHS Trust says vaccine figures offer hope as 40 per cent of Lister's patients have COVID-19
The Food Bank is run by the New Zion Christian Fellowship, in Cole Green Lane, and provides food parcels to around 30 people in difficult circumstances every week.
The group is already planning to do the same again next year.
Emma’s group meet every Thursday at 5.30pm and 7.30pm.
For more information call Emma on 07534 530 084.