Welwyn Garden City church marks 90th anniversary
A SPECIAL service and afternoon of celebrations marked the 90th anniversary of WGC Free Church.
The church began life with a service on May 1, 1921, held in ‘The Meeting Place’, one of the workmen’s huts used during the construction of the first parts of the town.
It was part of Ebenezer Howard’s vision for the garden city to have a church where all free church denominations worshipped together and as the congregation grew meetings were held in various locations.
In 1928 the present site of the church in Church Road was consecrated, and the building was designed by Louis de Soissons, the architect of WGC.
Ninety years to the day of the first service, the present-day congregation were joined by past ministers and church members, coming from as far afield as Inverness.
You may also want to watch:
The service was conducted by the Rev Jane Weedon, and guest preacher was the Rev Roberta Rominger, the general secretary of the United Reformed Church.
Celebrations continued with lunch, and a performance by the WGC Male Voice Choir.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 6 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 9 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 10 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
Church secretary Joyce Nicolson, said: “It was a truly memorable day, with so many friends of the church coming together to celebrate its 90th birthday.
“Our history is closely aligned with that of WGC, which celebrated its 90th birthday last year, and the church is looking forward to continuing to play a part in the community life of the town over the next decade as we move towards our respective centenaries.”