Welwyn Garden City church marks 90th anniversary
PUBLISHED: 08:29 29 May 2011
A SPECIAL service and afternoon of celebrations marked the 90th anniversary of WGC Free Church.
The church began life with a service on May 1, 1921, held in ‘The Meeting Place’, one of the workmen’s huts used during the construction of the first parts of the town.
It was part of Ebenezer Howard’s vision for the garden city to have a church where all free church denominations worshipped together and as the congregation grew meetings were held in various locations.
In 1928 the present site of the church in Church Road was consecrated, and the building was designed by Louis de Soissons, the architect of WGC.
Ninety years to the day of the first service, the present-day congregation were joined by past ministers and church members, coming from as far afield as Inverness.
The service was conducted by the Rev Jane Weedon, and guest preacher was the Rev Roberta Rominger, the general secretary of the United Reformed Church.
Celebrations continued with lunch, and a performance by the WGC Male Voice Choir.
Church secretary Joyce Nicolson, said: “It was a truly memorable day, with so many friends of the church coming together to celebrate its 90th birthday.
“Our history is closely aligned with that of WGC, which celebrated its 90th birthday last year, and the church is looking forward to continuing to play a part in the community life of the town over the next decade as we move towards our respective centenaries.”