Welwyn Garden City church celebrates 50 years
A CHURCH has celebrated 50 years since the foundation stone was laid by the then Archbishop of Westminster in 1959. A celebratory mass was held at Our Lady, Queen of Apostles Church in Woodhall Lane, WGC, attended by almost 350 people, some of who were
A CHURCH has celebrated 50 years since the foundation stone was laid by the then Archbishop of Westminster in 1959.
A celebratory mass was held at Our Lady, Queen of Apostles Church in Woodhall Lane, WGC, attended by almost 350 people, some of who were present at the original service.
As well as the church service, which was led by Bishop George Stack, auxiliary Bishop of Westminster, an afternoon of entertainment took place with singing and other performances.
One highlight of the celebrations was the unveiling of a refurbished stained glass window.
You may also want to watch:
The window, which depicts the crucifixion, was repaired by Matthew Lloyd-Winder, of Stained Glass Studio, South Mimms.
The brilliantly coloured effect of the glass is illuminated by interior lights and can now be seen from outside the church in Cole Green Lane.
- 1 Film crews spotted in Hatfield and Welwyn Garden City
- 2 Murder-suicide investigation in Welwyn Garden City
- 3 Grant Shapps suddenly cancels constituency event amid fuel chaos
- 4 Councillor disappointed as BioPark appeal confirmed
- 5 Five hospitalised after Hatfield dog attack
- 6 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 7 Bridgerton: First look at Kate Sharma in season two of Netflix drama
- 8 Nature migrations: Ospreys and other migrant visitors to Panshanger Park
- 9 Welwyn Garden Cup off on another cup adventure after dramatic FA Trophy win over Hythe
- 10 Arson attack on two cars in Hatfield street
Parish priest Father Norbert said: "This was a marvellous opportunity for the community to remember and reflect on the past 50 years..
"It was a simply wonderful moment in the life of Our Lady's Church.
"An opportunity to give thanks to God for his blessings on us past and present.
"Also we asked for his continued grace for the future of the church.