Welwyn Garden City charity honoured by the Queen
A WGC-BASED charity has been given a prestigious award by the Queen for its outstanding contribution to the community. Isabel Hospice is one of 95 organisations to receive this year's
A WGC-BASED charity has been given a prestigious award by the Queen for its outstanding contribution to the community.
Isabel Hospice is one of 95 organisations to receive this year's Queen's Award for Voluntary Service.
It was chosen from a list of 406 groups from across the UK, all of which were nominated for their work in the community.
The hospice, which has its head office in Bridge Road East, was commended for its work delivering holistic care to patients and their families across eastern Hertfordshire.
You may also want to watch:
To mark the achievement, it will receive a certificate signed from the Queen, along with an exclusive piece of commemorative crystal.
Representatives from the charity will also be invited to a garden party at Buckingham Palace this summer.
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 3 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 6 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 9 Explore Hertford Castle at free open day
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
The voluntary service awards were introduced to mark the Queen's golden jubilee in 2002.
Since then, more than 700 groups from across the UK have received the award, which is the equivalent of an MBE.
For reaction to the news, see tomorrow's Welwyn & Hatfield Times.
* WGC model Lisa Snowdon returned 'home' on Sunday to lend a hand to a fundraising drive for the hospice.
Find out what she was doing in tomorrow's Welwyn & Hatfield Times.