Welwyn Garden City charity benefits from council grant
FOR those struggling to put food on the table, a scheme run by a church to help them survive has been given a much needed cash boost.
The free food initiative, run by New Zion Christian Fellowship, in Howlands, WGC, has been allocated �1,500 from the locality budget of WGC South county councillor Steve Markiewicz.
Run by volunteers and church funds, the scheme, set up in November, uses vouchers distributed via organisations, such as children’s centres, CABs, doctors’ surgeries and housing authorities, which are then redeemed at the church for a box of food.
Cllr Markiewicz said: “As hard as it may be for many of us to appreciate fully, there are a lot of people in our own county who struggle to find the money simply to put food on the table each day.
“This could be for all sorts of reasons – losing your job, being unable to work through illness, or struggling with debt – and these are the people who are getting a helping hand through this excellent charitable scheme.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “While the food is, of course, free to all who need it, it does need to be paid for in the first place, with the help of church funds and individual donations – so I am very happy to be able to support the scheme in a very direct and practical way through this donation.”
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 5 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 6 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 9 Youngsters playing their part as Welwyn Garden City look to continue punching above their weight
- 10 Aspirations to win the league has Ben Spaul excited to be back at Welwyn