Welwyn Garden City charity appeals for volunteers
A WGC-BASED charity which provides help and advice for the visually impaired is on the hunt for volunteers.
The Hertfordshire Society for the Blind (HSB), at The Woodside Centre, in The Commons, has five trustees at present.
But, according to trustee David Brown, it needs at least three more to help it run effectively.
“We are particularly keen to recruit trustees with marketing, legal or financial skills,” he said.
The 66-year-old decided to volunteer as a trustee after he retired from running a human resources consultancy last year.
You may also want to watch:
“When I retired I wanted to use the skills I’d developed when running my business, as well as giving something back to the local community,” David said.
“I have a minor eye defect so was particularly keen to help HSB as I understand what it’s like to have a visual impairment.”
- 1 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 2 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 3 Billy Joe Saunders v Saul Canelo Alvarez - as it happened
- 4 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
- 5 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 6 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 7 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 8 Four councillors elected to South Mimms Parish Council
- 9 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 10 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
He added: “I find working as a trustee very satisfying.”
HSB chief executive officer Maria Surgenor said: “The last year has been challenging for the charity, in particular with the credit crunch.
“We also have new issues to face in the coming months with the threat of public funding cuts.
“Having trustees with the experience and skills to help with planning, legal and financial work helps both the charity and me in my role as chief executive.”
She added: “The charity is going through a period of change so now is an exciting time to join.
“HSB will also be celebrating its centenary in five years time, so trustees can help determine the future direction of the organisation.”
The HSB board meets five times a year, although trustees are also expected to help out with projects between meetings.
For more information, call Maria on 01707 375845 or email email@example.com