Welwyn Garden City celebrates 90th birthday tomorrow
WGC will play host to a bumper day of music, food and fun as residents celebrate the town’s 90th birthday this weekend.
Welwyn Hatfield Council is hosting a special family fun day this Saturday, which will see the town centre dominated by a giant inflatable assault course, high slide, roller rink and live music stage.
The fine food and craft market will also be there, as will balloon modellers, face painting and craft stalls, while council workers will be handing out information obout WGC walking tours.
A town treasure hunt and a cake competition has also been organised, and the water in the Parkway fountain will be multicoloured for the special day.
The event kicks off at midday, when up-and-coming Hertfordshire band Hot Lunch take to the specially constructed stage on the steps outside the Howard Centre.
You may also want to watch:
After the fun day ends at 6pm, residents who have lived in the town for 50 years or more are being invited to an exclusive tea party at the John Lewis store.
There are only 90 pairs of tickets available to the event, and anyone interested in attending can email firstname.lastname@example.org with their name, address and telephone number, as well as the date they moved to the town and their address at that time.
- 1 'Almost double the population' - Plans unveiled for two adjacent festivals at the same time
- 2 F9: Filming locations of Vin Diesel's new Fast & Furious 9 movie
- 3 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 8 Frank Turner added to revised Slam Dunk Festival 2021 line-up set for Hatfield
- 9 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 10 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM
Alternatively, call the Campus West box office on 01707 357117.
Councillor Tony Kingsbury, executive member for leisure and community, said: “This event is a great opportunity to bring the whole community together to celebrate Welwyn Garden City’s 90th birthday and to have a fun day out for all the family too.
“I’d like to extend my thanks to all those who have been involved in helping us to celebrate this milestone throughout the year, and to John Lewis for hosting the birthday celebration.”