Welwyn Garden City celebrates 90th birthday tomorrow
WGC will play host to a bumper day of music, food and fun as residents celebrate the town’s 90th birthday this weekend.
Welwyn Hatfield Council is hosting a special family fun day this Saturday, which will see the town centre dominated by a giant inflatable assault course, high slide, roller rink and live music stage.
The fine food and craft market will also be there, as will balloon modellers, face painting and craft stalls, while council workers will be handing out information obout WGC walking tours.
A town treasure hunt and a cake competition has also been organised, and the water in the Parkway fountain will be multicoloured for the special day.
The event kicks off at midday, when up-and-coming Hertfordshire band Hot Lunch take to the specially constructed stage on the steps outside the Howard Centre.
After the fun day ends at 6pm, residents who have lived in the town for 50 years or more are being invited to an exclusive tea party at the John Lewis store.
There are only 90 pairs of tickets available to the event, and anyone interested in attending can email firstname.lastname@example.org with their name, address and telephone number, as well as the date they moved to the town and their address at that time.
- 1 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 2 Suspected stabbing in Welwyn Garden City
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 5 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 6 Purse stolen from 74-year-old woman
- 7 Meet the authors behind a new architecture book on Welwyn and Welwyn Garden City
- 8 Where can you get a walk-in booster in Welwyn Hatfield this week?
- 9 County lines drug runners jailed after undercover police sting
- 10 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
Alternatively, call the Campus West box office on 01707 357117.
Councillor Tony Kingsbury, executive member for leisure and community, said: “This event is a great opportunity to bring the whole community together to celebrate Welwyn Garden City’s 90th birthday and to have a fun day out for all the family too.
“I’d like to extend my thanks to all those who have been involved in helping us to celebrate this milestone throughout the year, and to John Lewis for hosting the birthday celebration.”