Welwyn Garden City businesswoman conned
A BUSINESSWOMAN who was duped by fraudsters Cullen and Buttle was in court as the judge delayed sentencing the pair.
Julie Goodwin, owner of Natural Health in WGC town centre, has stopped paying the �500-a-month bill for phone equipment she was conned into signing up for.
But despite the pair’s guilty pleas, Mrs Goodwin’s debt had been handed over to three finance companies, which are still chasing the cash estimated at around �45,000.
Her two businesses, in WGC and Hertford, are under threat and she could lose her Digswell home.
She was convinced to switch from analogue to a new digital phone by Cullen, working as a salesman for BC Telecom, and unwittingly signed up for an 87-month contract.
You may also want to watch:
In court, prosecutor Miles Bennett reminded the judge Mrs Goodwin and other victims were watching proceedings from the public gallery.
Mr Bennett said: “There are finance companies who are still pursuing people and the sooner this case is sorted the better.”
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 6 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 9 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 10 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
The judge replied: “I understand their position, there isn’t anything I can do at the moment.”
But Mrs Goodwin said: “I can’t pay this debt. They set their business up to scam people, yet I’m still liable.
“It seems so wrong and there are loads of people in the same situation.”
She added she would return to court to see the pair sent to prison, but added: “I’ve got an ongoing sentence.”