Welwyn Garden City boy to mark Scottish Parliament's 10th anniversary
JULY 1, 1999 is a special date for Scots. For it is the day the Scottish Parliament came into being. It's also a day WGC youngster Lawrence Callaghan is unlikely to forget in a hurry – for it was the day he was born. Lawrence was one of 163 babies born in
JULY 1, 1999 is a special date for Scots.
For it is the day the Scottish Parliament came into being.
It's also a day WGC youngster Lawrence Callaghan is unlikely to forget in a hurry - for it was the day he was born.
Lawrence was one of 163 babies born in Scotland on that historic date - and all are central to the parliament's planned 10th anniversary celebrations.
You may also want to watch:
He answered a nationwide appeal and, as such, got the chance to tour the parliament buildings at Holyrood, in Edinburgh, with nine others.
Lawrence, a Homerswood School pupil, said: "I have not met any other children born on the same day as me before and I have now made some new friends."
- 1 'We were only open 20 days before the first lockdown' - First time restaurant owner optimistic after difficult first year
- 2 Ocado opens new development centre, creating 100 new jobs
- 3 Social club 'blown away' by community support while closed for extended period
- 4 May 17: Pub ready for reopening after £440k refurbishment
- 5 Search continues for missing Stevenage man
- 6 Top gear! Supercars drive into Knebworth for Petrolheadonism event
- 7 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 8 Weight lifted as Slimming World classes return as COVID-19 restrictions ease
- 9 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 10 Delight for Hatfield Swim Centre as lockdown easing sees group classes return
Mum Louise, 36, added: "Myself, Lawrence's dad Michael and sister Mhari all went with Lawrence on the tour of the Scottish Parliament.
"He loved it. It was an excellent day."
The family moved from Lanarkshire to Howicks Green when Lawrence was just six months.
So far, just 43 of the 163 Scottish children born on July 1, 1999 have come forward.
Presiding officer Alex Fergusson said officials were working hard to ensure "no 10-year-old missed out" on a birthday party to celebrate the big day.
The party will be held in July at the Scottish Parliament.
Do you qualify? Call the Scottish Parliament on 0131 348 6933 or email email@example.com