Welwyn Garden City boy to mark Scottish Parliament's 10th anniversary
JULY 1, 1999 is a special date for Scots. For it is the day the Scottish Parliament came into being. It's also a day WGC youngster Lawrence Callaghan is unlikely to forget in a hurry – for it was the day he was born. Lawrence was one of 163 babies born in
JULY 1, 1999 is a special date for Scots.
For it is the day the Scottish Parliament came into being.
It's also a day WGC youngster Lawrence Callaghan is unlikely to forget in a hurry - for it was the day he was born.
Lawrence was one of 163 babies born in Scotland on that historic date - and all are central to the parliament's planned 10th anniversary celebrations.
He answered a nationwide appeal and, as such, got the chance to tour the parliament buildings at Holyrood, in Edinburgh, with nine others.
Lawrence, a Homerswood School pupil, said: "I have not met any other children born on the same day as me before and I have now made some new friends."
- 1 'Garden thieves' caught on camera in Welwyn
- 2 Welwyn Garden City school earns prestigious development award
- 3 TfL removes over 100 London buses after EV blaze in Potters Bar
- 4 Spectacular Grade II listed home near Hatfield on the market for £3m
- 5 Tournament's return brings huge joy to Welwyn Garden City Youth Football Club
- 6 Mother and daughter from WGC team up to offer food packages to struggling locals
- 7 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 8 Toyota drove ‘erratically’ during suspected drug-fuelled trip in Hatfield
- 9 Fifteen-year-old boy hospitalised after reported stabbing in Hatfield
- 10 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
Mum Louise, 36, added: "Myself, Lawrence's dad Michael and sister Mhari all went with Lawrence on the tour of the Scottish Parliament.
"He loved it. It was an excellent day."
The family moved from Lanarkshire to Howicks Green when Lawrence was just six months.
So far, just 43 of the 163 Scottish children born on July 1, 1999 have come forward.
Presiding officer Alex Fergusson said officials were working hard to ensure "no 10-year-old missed out" on a birthday party to celebrate the big day.
The party will be held in July at the Scottish Parliament.
Do you qualify? Call the Scottish Parliament on 0131 348 6933 or email email@example.com