Welwyn Garden City actor makes a stand over bid to close Santander account
A PROFESSIONAL actor who was refused permission to close a bank account made a standing protest inside Santander.
John Cook, who starred in West End production Mamma Mia, was told he did not have the right documentation to close his partners’ (Julia Riley’s) account, despite closing their joint account.
The part-time fireman told the Welwyn Hatfield Times at the time: “We’re fed up of receiving post from them for the past three years. I’ve seen similar things about this on [BBC One show] Watchdog.
“There’s only �2.52 in the account it’s costing them money to keep it open and it’s costing me the time of being here. I phoned before hand and they said I could close both accounts, but clearly I can’t.
“So I’m making a peaceful protest to make a point now.”
You may also want to watch:
After standing inside the Howardsgate-based bank,in WGC, for two hours John was asked to leave by police.
John, a part-time web designer, added: “A lot of people can’t be bothered to make a stance but I did. I hate to think how much it’s cost the police to come out.”
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 3 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 4 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 5 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 6 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 7 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 8 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure
- 9 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 10 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
A Santander spokesman said: “You cannot close someone’s account without either that person being present or having the proper authority to do so.
“Ms Riley wasn’t present and he did not have the relevant documents to accompany the letter for the closure.
“Quite correctly we have refused to action this request. We have explained what is needed to make this happen but he has refused to comply with this. Alternatively Ms Riley can close her account in person.”