Welwyn clothes store reopens after flood
A BOUTIQUE ladies’ clothing store enjoyed a flood of a different kind as it reopened following a forced closure due to a burst water pipe.
Susu reopened the doors to its Welwyn store on Wednesday with a stylish champagne reception, as customers flocked to see the new refit.
The High Street business – which counts Strictly judge Alesha Dixon among its loyal customers – was forced to close last month when a water meter burst in the offices above the store, flooding the shop floor and wrecking thousands of pounds worth of clothing and accessories.
The remaining stock that survived was taken to the other Susu store in Radlett, while builders refitted the soggy Welwyn unit.
But it seems the enforced closure only whetted customers’ appetites for the anticipated refurbishment, as they packed the store and sipped on bubbly during the grand re-opening.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking on their first day back in business, Georgina Bull, who runs the company with her mother Susan, said: “It’s been brilliant, we’ve been really busy. There were people banging on the door before we opened wanting to come in, and we haven’t had a quiet moment since.
“Lots of people have been very supportive, telling us how much they missed us since we closed and how the village hasn’t been the same without us.”
- 1 Keep on the grass - sign telling people to stay off land taped over
- 2 Meet the man driving a tractor 270 miles from Cornwall to Codicote
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 5 July 19: Extended restrictions will bring 'big costs' to our businesses
- 6 Would you quit drinking and smoking?
- 7 Businesses react as relaxation of Covid restrictions delayed to July 19
- 8 100 not out for centenarian Gladys
- 9 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM
- 10 Getting wild at Panshanger Park with Herts and Middlesex Wildlife Trust
Georgina described the new facelift as “very contemporary, fresh and bright”.
“It’s looking fantastic,” she said. “I wouldn’t say it’s completely new, but it looks more up to date.”
* Susu is offering 20 per cent off all new Spring collections for mailing list customers until the end of February. Call 01438 718 161 or click on the link above.