Welwyn bowls club bowled over by generosity of borough council
MEMBERS of a village club have been bowled over by the borough council’s generosity.
For Welwyn and District Bowls Club has received nearly �3,000 of new indoor bowling equipment – thanks to Welwyn Hatfield Council’s Community Chest scheme.
The Welwyn village-based club now boasts indoor mats and other equipment to enable the bowls club to use its facilities throughout the winter months.
This will help members keep active and meet up to play bowls during inclement weather.
Ward councillor Andrew Canter, who helped to secure the funding, said: “We are delighted to have been able to help the local bowls club through the council’s Community Chest scheme. This will enable the bowls club to continue to be used for the benefit of its members.
You may also want to watch:
“It shows how this type of initiative can help engender a strong sense of community and give local residents more enjoyment from their club by enhancing its facilities.”
Mike Poole, honorary secretary of the bowls club, said: “This initiative will enable us to maintain the spirit and enthusiasm of all club members during the winter months following our very successful outdoor season.
- 1 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 2 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 3 What time will the election results come in?
- 4 Billy Joe Saunders v Saul Canelo Alvarez - as it happened
- 5 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 6 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 7 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 8 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 9 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
- 10 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
“We already have over 50 of our playing and social members who wish to take full advantage of this new bowling facility.
“Several non-members have already asked to join the club to play short mat bowls and anybody who may be interested in playing should get in touch with us.
“A big thank you to councillors Andrew Canter and Mandy Perkins for obtaining this funding for the club from the Community Chest scheme.”
For more call Ted Webb on 01707 329076.