Welwyn actress is Holding out for a Hero in Footloose stage show
AN actress from Welwyn is 'Holding Out For a Hero' as she prepares for her starring role in a production of Footloose. The musical version of the Oscar-nominated hit film takes to the stage at the Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage next week. And Welwyn vi
AN actress from Welwyn is 'Holding Out For a Hero' as she prepares for her starring role in a production of Footloose.
The musical version of the Oscar-nominated hit film takes to the stage at the Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage next week.
And Welwyn villager Katie Lavelli has been cast in the role of leading lady Ariel Moore, originally played by Lori Singer in the film opposite Kevin Bacon.
The 21-year-old, who has just graduated from the Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts in London, admitted to never having watched the 1984 smash before she bagged the part.
You may also want to watch:
She told the Welwyn & Hatfield Times: "I decided to watch it once I got the role.
"I can't believe I hadn't seen it before."
- 1 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 2 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Exploring the challenges of being furloughed during lockdown
- 5 Bank becomes latest to be lost from town centre
- 6 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
- 7 Eight-year-old actress joins sister in the big screen as she stars in independent domestic abuse film
- 8 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 9 Former Spitfire and Hurricane engineer celebrates 100th birthday
- 10 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
Katie will be singing one of the show's greatest songs - the Bonnie Tyler classic, Holding Out For A Hero.
She said: "It's such an amazing song to sing.
"I've got three backing singers and it's a real power ballad."
Other well-known hits on the film's soundtrack are Let's Here It For The Boy performed by Deniece Williams and title track Footloose, sung by Kenny Loggins.
Katie, who has performed on the Stevenage stage since the age of 11, is excited to be playing pretty Ariel.
"She's a very complicated character; she's got a lot of depth.
"The musical is very true to the film."
The show, which also features Eric Potts - who played Diggory Compton in Coronation Street - is on from next Monday to Saturday, August 22.
Performances start at 7.45pm, with 2.30pm shows on Thursday and Saturday.
Tickets start at �16.50.
Call the box office on 08700 131030 for availability.