Welwyn actress is Holding out for a Hero in Footloose stage show
AN actress from Welwyn is 'Holding Out For a Hero' as she prepares for her starring role in a production of Footloose. The musical version of the Oscar-nominated hit film takes to the stage at the Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage next week. And Welwyn vi
AN actress from Welwyn is 'Holding Out For a Hero' as she prepares for her starring role in a production of Footloose.
The musical version of the Oscar-nominated hit film takes to the stage at the Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage next week.
And Welwyn villager Katie Lavelli has been cast in the role of leading lady Ariel Moore, originally played by Lori Singer in the film opposite Kevin Bacon.
The 21-year-old, who has just graduated from the Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts in London, admitted to never having watched the 1984 smash before she bagged the part.
You may also want to watch:
She told the Welwyn & Hatfield Times: "I decided to watch it once I got the role.
"I can't believe I hadn't seen it before."
- 1 Murder-suicide investigation in Welwyn Garden City
- 2 Councillor disappointed as BioPark appeal confirmed
- 3 Grant Shapps suddenly cancels constituency event amid fuel chaos
- 4 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 5 Five hospitalised after Hatfield dog attack
- 6 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
- 7 Two more acts added to Hatfield music festival's 'line-up of headliners' for 2022
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 'So much for grassroots tennis' - Price hike at Gosling Sports Park sparks ire
- 10 New Local Plan timetable aims for summer deadline
Katie will be singing one of the show's greatest songs - the Bonnie Tyler classic, Holding Out For A Hero.
She said: "It's such an amazing song to sing.
"I've got three backing singers and it's a real power ballad."
Other well-known hits on the film's soundtrack are Let's Here It For The Boy performed by Deniece Williams and title track Footloose, sung by Kenny Loggins.
Katie, who has performed on the Stevenage stage since the age of 11, is excited to be playing pretty Ariel.
"She's a very complicated character; she's got a lot of depth.
"The musical is very true to the film."
The show, which also features Eric Potts - who played Diggory Compton in Coronation Street - is on from next Monday to Saturday, August 22.
Performances start at 7.45pm, with 2.30pm shows on Thursday and Saturday.
Tickets start at �16.50.
Call the box office on 08700 131030 for availability.