Well respected Hatfield firefighter retires
A MUCH-LOVED firefighter who worked at Hatfield fire station has retired.
Howard Brown completed his final shift, after 31 years in the service, on May 31.
Commander Brown, of Green Watch, was given a heart warming farewell by his fellow colleagues and friends.
The 58-year-old told the Welwyn Hatfield Times: “I thoroughly enjoyed it.
“It was a good job and was very satisfying. I will miss the job, the people, the laughs and the jokes.”
You may also want to watch:
Having spent six years at St Albans fire station, Mr Brown, of Chelwood Avenue, Hatfield, transferred to the Wellfield Road station, where he stayed for a further 25 years.
Among his memorable moments were the Buncefield oil disaster, which Mr Brown described as “awesome for a firefighter” and a memorial service for Remembrance Sunday a few years back at which he represented the brigade.
- 1 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 4 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 5 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Grant Shapps 'completely opposed' to closure of QEII Urgent Care Centre at night
- 7 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 8 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 9 Young girl ‘shaken’ after phone placed under toilet cubicle
- 10 Welwyn nursery manager meets Boris Johnson at Downing Street reception
Crew commander Mark Piddick said: “Howard, known as H, will be sorely missed.
“He had an irresistible wealth of knowledge about Hatfield and was heavily involved in a lot of community issues.”
Asked how he plans to spend his retirement, Mr Brown said he would be mostly spending it with his wife Kath and family.
He added: “I shall find something to do.
“I am going to chill out, as people would say, for a couple of months then try to find a part-time job.
“Twenty hours a week would be perfect for me.”